Grey/white crud in between tentacles?

Wadogurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone has grey/white crud between it's tentacles today. I also noticed some on its foot this morning before it opened up. We rearranged the rocks yesterday and it never let go of its spot, even when we had to take it out of the tank and into the holding bucket for a bit. All my fish look fine. Is this something I should worry about??
1zv966u.jpg
20kqf86.jpg
2qd8vph.jpg

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I'm not an expert on this type of anemone, but it looks like normal rock/sand "dust". Sometimes the anemones will slime up if irritated (could be from when you were moving the rocks around) and some of the "dust" got caught in the slime. Nothing I would worry about.

Some of your rock looks pretty new, how old is your tank?

OP
OP
Wadogurl

Wadogurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I'm not an expert on this type of anemone, but it looks like normal rock/sand "dust". Sometimes the anemones will slime up if irritated (could be from when you were moving the rocks around) and some of the "dust" got caught in the slime. Nothing I would worry about.

Some of your rock looks pretty new, how old is your tank?

The tank has been up for about 7-8 months but we didn't have enough rock. I didn't want to pay for 50lbs of live rock. We did 20lbs of live rock and a 3in live sand bed when we started and yesterday had finally finished soaking 40lbs of dry rock. Our numbers are good and stuff but we had reached our "limit" on what we were comfortable adding without more structure. I was worried it was something from the new rocks. Glad it looks normal!!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Condy or some kind of long tentacle anemone? It's been many years since I've had either in my tank. I do rock flower anemones, maxi-minis and RBT's now. Although I do see some Condy's when we go snorkeling in the Florida Keys.

Nems have always been one of my favorite animals, both in my tank and when snorkeling. We occasionally see a condy with a shrimp living in it. We brought one home once when I had a condy but the shrimp didn't live long.

anemone shrimp in a condy P5240122 R1.jpg anemone shrimp in a condy P6200033.JPG

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

The anemone as others have stated is just 'dusty'. You could use a turkey baster to gently blow it off if you like.

I have ~17 BTA's in my tank and when I clean it they at times end up with a bit of crud on them and the baster does nicely.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back