Gross smelling reef tank

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I came home yesterday I noticed my whole room smelt bad from my tank, almost like a dead fish smell. None of my fish were dead only found one snail which was dead and took it out, tested everything and it’s all in check and put a new bag on carbon in, smell went away a few hours later. Came home today and no smell, a few hours go by and now it smells again. I have a dehumidifier running in the room and there’s nothing dead in it. Any ideas to what it could be and how to get rid of it? It’s just a really strong smell that causes my entire room to smell bad.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it seems that if it was your tank, it would be killing things. I would check out the dehumidifier again - be sure your tank etc are not intermittently shutting on and off

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems that if it was your tank, it would be killing things. I would check out the dehumidifier again - be sure your tank etc are not intermittently shutting on and off
What do you mean? That the dehumidifier might be causing the return pump to be turning off then back on?

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check your filter/filters or sump to see if there is anything going on in them maybe some type of problem or something dead?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its smells moldy or sulfur like i would suspect you have mold on your dehumidifier coils or if it has a filter the filter needs to be changed out

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check your filter/filters or sump to see if there is anything going on in them maybe some type of problem or something dead?
I checked my sump and can’t find anything, it’s just weird how it almost comes in waves

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I have problem algae or dino outbreaks my tank will smell. Also when my skimmer is due for draining it can smell. Skimmate is a pungent smell. Check your equipment and overflow for gunk build ups.
I have a few different kinds of algae now, one which I do not know what it is. I’ll include a pic and see if you know what it is I believe it’s either cyano or dinos.
3A006CE8-E913-45B1-A808-5CADB78A46B8.jpeg
7DC93B44-480E-43F3-A580-B7AD9068B0B4.jpeg

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its smells moldy or sulfur like i would suspect you have mold on your dehumidifier coils or if it has a filter the filter needs to be changed out
I don’t believe it’s that just cause the dehumidifier is only a week old. But it might be something that it’s doing to the tank. I know it’s the tank cause when I put my nose up to the tank it’s a lot stronger

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in San Diego. A couple of years ago we intermittently smelled something awful. Couldn't locate it.
I finally convinced myself the sewer line must be backing up and called a plumber.
Our plumbing was fine and we decided, maybe the neighborhood main sewer line was the issue.
I called the city and reported it.
Here comes the saltwater connection in my story.....
The city representative explained the issue was a Red Tide phenomenon occurring along the San Diego coastline.
I live right at the origin point of a canyon facing toward the ocean.
Apparently the breeze was channeling the smell right up the canyon and to my house!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few different kinds of algae now, one which I do not know what it is. I’ll include a pic and see if you know what it is I believe it’s either cyano or dinos.
3A006CE8-E913-45B1-A808-5CADB78A46B8.jpeg
7DC93B44-480E-43F3-A580-B7AD9068B0B4.jpeg
You have Dino’s which definitely smells and can cause allergies / throat pain ect.. it gets in the air look up red tide

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank smells like varech. I can smell it when I come home after being away for a while. I figure there’s no way around that. But it’s not the same smell as a rotting fish or invert. Which is yours ?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back