Grounding probes

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a grounding probe is safer for the fish? My yellow tang is jumpy without one. I tested uA from the uv sterilizer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use one for my own safety. As to organisms, that is less clear, IMO, but I see no reason to not use one (be certain you have everything on a GFCI).

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a fish get shocked with a ground probe?

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFCI first and foremost.

Sorry to hijack...Anyone know if the electrical code actually requires GFCI’s for aquarium hobbyist applications?

Probably a safe bet they’re requiredfor commercial applications. If not by the NEC (or analogous rules) then by the insurance company!

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal anecdote: Many years ago, shortly after setting up the 210 gallon tank with metal halides, our yellow tang, Suzy, had a problem with HLLE. LFS suggested stray voltage. There was stray voltage when the lights were on, as evidenced by a voltmeter with the neutral connected to ground and the other probe put into the tank. We added a grounding probe, and that demonstrably made the stray voltage go away. Suzy almost immediately recovered from the HLLE, and never looked back. She was still going strong last time I saw her (which was Tuesday, because we evacuated due to the Glass Fire, but I digress). Tank was long ago switched to LED lights, BTW, but the grounding probe has never been removed. It is on a GFCI outlet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal anecdote: Many years ago, shortly after setting up the 210 gallon tank with metal halides, our yellow tang, Suzy, had a problem with HLLE. LFS suggested stray voltage. There was stray voltage when the lights were on, as evidenced by a voltmeter with the neutral connected to ground and the other probe put into the tank. We added a grounding probe, and that demonstrably made the stray voltage go away. Suzy almost immediately recovered from the HLLE, and never looked back. She was still going strong last time I saw her (which was Tuesday, because we evacuated due to the Glass Fire, but I digress). Tank was long ago switched to LED lights, BTW, but the grounding probe has never been removed. It is on a GFCI outlet.

Thanks, Jim. Our best to Suzy!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if the electrical code actually requires GFCI’s for aquarium hobbyist applications?

For dwellings, I don't think so. Just bathrooms, garages, below grade buildings, outdoor receps, kitchen. Basically anything with an unfinished floor or kitchen/bath.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For dwellings, I don't think so. Just bathrooms, garages, below grade buildings, outdoor receps, kitchen. Basically anything with an unfinished floor or kitchen/bath.
I am going to include it as a standard in my personal NFPA 70.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a fish get shocked with a ground probe?
A ground probe won't impact a fish getting shocked in a saltwater aquarium. The salt water is much more conductive than the fish, which is why you can't electrofish in the ocean. Most of the current, even in a fault condition, will go around the fish.
However, fish can be sensitive to the magnetic fields related to electricity since they almost all have some sort of electro receptors.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ground probe won't impact a fish getting shocked in a saltwater aquarium. The salt water is much more conductive than the fish, which is why you can't electrofish in the ocean. Most of the current, even in a fault condition, will go around the fish.
However, fish can be sensitive to the magnetic fields related to electricity since they almost all have some sort of electro receptors.
Thanks. Do you have any idea why my uv sterilizer actually leaks small amounts of amperage? Its new. I cant put it on a gfci for fear it will trip with the ground probe.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not have a copy of the 2020 code yet but here has been a location line added the says damp and wet locations

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you have any idea why my uv sterilizer actually leaks small amounts of amperage? Its new. I cant put it on a gfci for fear it will trip with the ground probe.
If it trips with the ground probe installed, there is a problem. It should run just fine with a ground probe/GFCI combination.

Hopefully it is only inducing a small amount of voltage into the system and it isn't a fault. Any time you have electrical current running in a cord near saltwater it will induce a voltage into that water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a ground probe in each of my tank. . . For piece of mind

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back