Growing plants in a saltwater aquarium: Have you ever kept Caulerpa in your tank?

Have you ever kept Caulerpa in your tank?

• I currently keep Caulerpa.

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • I have kept Caulerpa in the past.

Votes: 57 24.6%
  • I plan to keep Caulerpa in the future.

Votes: 24 10.3%
  • I have no plans to keep Caulerpa.

Votes: 77 33.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Growing plants in a saltwater aquarium: Have you ever kept Caulerpa in your tank?

Although not biological classified as plants, Caulerpa and other macroalgae, add an attractive plant-like appearance to the saltwater aquarium. There are several types of Caulerpa that are kept in saltwater aquariums including racemosa, taxifolia, prolifera, mexicana, and a few more. When keeping Caulerpa, like most macroalgae, the considerations include proper lighting, flow, nutrients, propagation, and trimming. However, Caulerpa is not without its challenges such as the potential to arrive with pests such as amphipods or the potential to release spores and create algae blooms. Additionally, because Caulerpa is considered to be invasive in certain areas, it is important to check the local laws and regulations before adding it to your aquarium. Please let us know if you have ever kept Caulerpa in your tank. Additionally, if you have kept any of the types of Caulerpa then please share your experiences or tips that you may have for caring for this type of macroalgae.

Tigahboy_Caulerpa.jpeg

Photo by @Tigahboy

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
twenty five tangs - No way for me.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had C. prolifera and it did just what its name suggests. The problem I had with it was it going sexual when I moved it out of the main tank and into a QT tank (for Fluconazole treatment in the main tank). In the QT tank it went sexual and I had stuff growing on every surface. Ended up bleaching and tossing the whole lot and don't plan on getting C. prolifera again. Possibly one of the other species, but then again its illegal to ship Caulerpa to CA. Hence the bleaching.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was just looking up an old thread on this invasive plant from heck. Folks who live near the oceans should be careful to properly dispose of this powerfully invasive destroyer of non-native ecosystems.

20 years ago I had some appear on a rock of zoa's about a year after I bought the zoa's. It was just a small strand but I immediately removed it off the rock, and it was clean for a year and it sprouted again. I pulled the rock and tossed it because I was two blocks from the Pacific Ocean and didn't want to be that guy with the weed that destroyed the Bay. I don't recall which species of caulerpa keep reappearing.

And before that, I had C. taxifolia, and racemose in a few different fish tanks and it would eventually invade all of them to a point of ruin. I had small kids or a job that kept me busy so I couldn't keep up with the required trimming sessions to keep the weed in check.

So I liked it, and I hated it but I really don't want to hear about another invasions in the wild oceans, please reef responsibly.
Tonight Show Singing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
:cool:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I kept mexicana for a while.
I remember seeing peoples tanks that they had let caulerpa grow in their tanks, but it seems like in every single one I saw the tank had to be taken down because once established it was impossible to remove and just took over.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just would not keep caulerpa unless it's a dedicated system and you are fully aware and want to keep up on maintenance to keep it from nuking everything.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot officially admit that I might’ve kept Caulerpa racemosa, because it is banned in California.
Hypothetically speaking it was growing so fast, that it became difficult to control, so when I broke down my tank, I got rid of it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa by far is my favorite macro algae, I have never had any of the negative issues many associate with this algae. I have kept many varieties in a display macro tank as well as refugiums and display refugiums. I have found it to not only be attractive and easy to care for, but perhaps the most efficient in excess nutrient removal. Gracilaria is a good compliment to caulerpa, as well as ulva; do a mix of these 3 in a refugium and never do a water change again.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I cannot officially admit that I might’ve kept Caulerpa racemosa, because it is banned in California.
Hypothetically speaking it was growing so fast, that it became difficult to control, so when I broke down my tank, I got rid of it.
Straight to jail

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty nice. It doesn't seem to grow well under blues or at all really.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Although not biological classified as plants, Caulerpa and other macroalgae, add an attractive plant-like appearance to the saltwater aquarium. There are several types of Caulerpa that are kept in saltwater aquariums including racemosa, taxifolia, prolifera, mexicana, and a few more. When keeping Caulerpa, like most macroalgae, the considerations include proper lighting, flow, nutrients, propagation, and trimming. However, Caulerpa is not without its challenges such as the potential to arrive with pests such as amphipods or the potential to release spores and create algae blooms. Additionally, because Caulerpa is considered to be invasive in certain areas, it is important to check the local laws and regulations before adding it to your aquarium. Please let us know if you have ever kept Caulerpa in your tank. Additionally, if you have kept any of the types of Caulerpa then please share your experiences or tips that you may have for caring for this type of macroalgae.

Tigahboy_Caulerpa.jpeg

Photo by @Tigahboy

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
I used to grow Caulerpa for nutrient export? With mature systems, I no longer need nutrient export so I grow ornamental seaweeds like Bortacladia & Gracilaria Hayi.. I have a start of Sea Grapes which I will use for humane consumption:
Caulerpa lentillifera

image.jpg

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "other."

Because my "permanent" aquarium dream tank is more of a system. A 6' long high energy SPS reef, and a 60g cube lagoon style tank located right next to it, connected through the sump.

Living 5 minutes from the Indian River Lagoon here in Florida -- and with collection perfectly legal so long as one has a fishing license and doesn't collect any stonies, the lagoon tank will be entirely things my kids and I catch out of the lagoon. Though, I'll buy the seagrass given the state of it here in the wild. So no caulerpa in this, but lots of plants.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather Caulerpa in my fuge right now. I've run it in the past with no issues. Long light cycle (18 hours on) and harvest regularly seems to work for me.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I haven’t ever kept it intentionally. It was the downfall of my last reef tank back in 2010

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back