Growth led vs aquarium led

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an electrician who has wired controllers into lights, that aspect is not crazy expensive or anything, It is simply a matter of routing which LEDs to which driver and then that driver to the following control output. With how low the cost is on many cheap controllers I've seen on amazon and much more common software programs, I personally don't think their is a big reason for lights to cost so much other than they carry that name brand on it like Nike or Addidas.

I was looking into purchasing LEDs separately and building my own light from scratch, but my soldering skills may not be up to par... No pun intended...

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its impressive what he did with the solar light….
I live in Denmark, Scandinavia. I rains 9 months of the year and hail the last 3. Almost :)

I personally prefer T5. The spectrum is wider and the light is nice.
I think its like records and CD’s. CD’s won that battle. Led will too. Simple because of the cost.
Records actually outsold CD’s this year. Fun fact

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viparspectra still makes reef lights but have apparently quit making the t300 and just make the 165. They grow coral just fine. I'll Pepsi challenge anyone on sps growth/color/par with viparspectra reef lights.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icons are fantastic. I've heard great things about reefPi 2.0. Led bars are great as well.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4EFD5E2D-659B-489C-BD77-14EB7FF29E0B.jpeg
963177B5-4E8A-44B7-AB9E-541C76C332C3.jpeg
91661FB7-2423-4E61-A765-B5CB8E616886.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I dig into it the more Im convinced the aquarium led industry is selling hocus pocus.

Nothing is comparable. No facts. Just a lot marketing and hearsay.

From what I can tell the aquarium led industry is 1-2 generations behind the growth led companies… And you pay around 5-10 times more for an outdated product.

For all of you who still believe the blue spectrum is all you need. Take a look here:

Btw. Im not trying to bash any companies, but this hobby might grow more or decline less if its more affordable.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run hydro and reefs. I would not want my Mars 3000 hanging over a salt tank.
They wont look good as they are not designed for the living room.
They also need to be enclosed for salt applications, imo.

The amount of salt spray I see on my Radion diffusers would spell long term death for an open led plant fixture like we run in grow rooms.

I have run plant leds on my 45's sump and it grew macro algae and coralline just fine.

Most plant leds get over run with green algae unless enough macro is their to use the nutrients.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all photosynthesis. Plants and corals use the same sun.
Light is a matter of spread, PAR and spectrum.

The only difference i see between growth light and aquarium light is that reef nerds have a love for the blue spectrum. This has nothing to do with photosynthesis but more a fashion thing. Full spectrum is the best for photosynthesis and a more natural light.

The more I dig into it the more Im convinced the brands within the aquarium industry are selling hocus pocus. Most of the top brands dont even write what diodes they use and there is not even a comparison of best PAR for the dollar.

Wow…

What to do?

Or some of the otter brands I mentioned in my first post.

Its not as simple as saying "its all photosynthesis." Its far more complicated than that.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im happy for the knowledge people provide here. Its good with some science.

T5 is a good option but I dont like the running cost. Led is more effective but the full spectrum from T5 is more pleasing to my eye.

Im a firm believer that test is benificial. Very often we just get the test result we look for and we test a specific area and not the whole biological circle.

I believe that a full spectrum will be more benificial because its an imitation of the full spectrum from the sun. At the end of the day its all photosynthesis.

Full spectrum is, imo, better for fish, but in terms of photosynthesis its simply irrelevant. Photopigments utilize certain wavelengths.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any IP rating on EcoTech Radion. When I search for ecotech Radion ip rating I get this result:
This product carries an ingress protection rating of IPX0 and must not be immersed in water.

Thats the worst IP rating meaning no water resistance.

Maybe you prefer the design. I respect that. Taste is individual.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is way more to the quality of a fixture than just it putting out light. Also, a lot of plant grow lights don't even use ideal spectra for photosynthesis. Marine algae and land plants photosynthesis in very different environments, and their adaptations reflect this.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is way more to the quality of a fixture than just it putting out light. Also, a lot of plant grow lights don't even use ideal spectra for photosynthesis. Marine algae and land plants photosynthesis in very different environments, and their adaptations reflect this.

Can I see some proof that the mysterious led light from the aquarium industry are superior?

Datasheets, independant reviews, lab testing results.. Just something…

Anything regarding electronic building standards, ISO standard, company names of the diodes and drivers, assembly control, IP rating.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see some proof that the mysterious led light from the aquarium industry are superior?

Datasheets, independant reviews, lab testing results.. Just something…

Anything regarding electronic building standards, ISO standard, company names of the diodes and drivers, assembly control, IP rating.
I know they likely are better quality and loaded with features however the fact remains that reef lighting companies do not give out information about performance. I think it is crazy especially how much they are asking for these fixtures.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they likely are better quality and loaded with features however the fact remains that reef lighting companies do not give out information about performance. I think it is crazy especially how much they are asking for these fixtures.

I think the fatures with moon light and sunset are amazing :)
An adapter and apex or dhl can do that also. But still amazing.

There can be only one reason why they dont provide any information = they will lose - big time.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fatures with moon light and sunset are amazing :)
An adapter and apex or dhl can do that also. But still amazing.

There can be only one reason why they dont provide any information = they will lose - big time.
Anyone want to donate an expensive light to dissect

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about dissection but alot has been done already in this field/topic

A led 'bulb' at Home Depot costs x. A smart led bulb with an app and support structure costs x more... Where's the mystery? Not getting into the weeds on how much more is appropriate...

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Idk about dissection but alot has been done already in this field/topic

A led 'bulb' at Home Depot costs x. A smart led bulb with an app and support structure costs x more... Where's the mystery? Not getting into the weeds on how much more is appropriate...
I definitely get that those added smart feature add to the value/cost of reef lights. . .

Can Radion make a cheapo light. . . only feature it has is on and off? How much? Haha

I want to do an experiment with a cheapo grow light so think I am gonna order a vivosun and see how it goes haha

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back