Growth on Pyramid Butterflyfish

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks - no further comments beyond what have been given - you have a great tank!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommending might be the wrong word, maybe suggesting a possible solution that still might not work. :)

Yes - that is the product I use. Check the bottom of the bottle, if you see any white chunks or flakes, that is paraformaldehyde that forms in old formalin, and that is toxic to fish, don't use it.

If you want to try this, in a well vented room, using proper PPE (goggles and gloves) dose two gallons of tank water with 75 ppm formalin and add an air stone driven by an air pump. Add the fish for an hour, then return it to the tank and dispose of the dip water. Do this daily for three days. The calculation for the 75 ppm dose is: 2 gallons * 75 ppm / 264 = 0.60 ml. A pipette should be used to measure this, but if you have a medicine dropper, you can count out 12 drops.

Jay

OP
OP
H

HossPilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Pyramid Butterfly. On Monday I dosed him with Methylene Blue. 2 gallons of tank water and 2 ml of MB put the fish in for 30 min. Rinsed in a pitcher of tank water then back into the tank. Tuesday no change, still active and eating. Wednesday got home from work and Pyramid was dead. Fish didn’t have any other indications of infection on it. Not sure if my dose of MB was wrong or if the fungus killed it. Thanks to Jay and everyone else that offered advise. I am stocking my medical supplies with the meds y’all listed for me. As of now no other fish in my tank have any indications of being sick or infected with anything. Thanks again everyone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back