Growth on Red Planet ( pic )

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimbo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jimbo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
941
Reaction score
426
Location
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very healthy Red Planet colony, only problem is It has a tumor looking growth that's probably about 1" in diameter. You can't see in the pic but there are small bubble looking things on the growth.

I can't find much information on this but I also have a frag of Miyagi Tort which looks like it is developing something similar. All other SPS Are fine.

Tank Info:
70 Gallon 30x30x18H
8x24 watt ATI Sunpower

Alk 8.2 ( Hanna checker)
Calcium 420 ( Salifert )
Mag 1350 ( Salifert )

I run Ecobak Biopellets nitrates <5 according to Salifert Phosphates .02 ( Hanna ULR )

Here's a iphone pic:

image.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here's a pic of the Tort. Growth is at the bottom center of frag. Small bubble like growths.

image.jpg
 
Is there a slit at the top of each growth? If so, it is small barnacles. If the "bubbles" are hollow at the top it could be vermetid snails.
 
I'm familiar with both those and it's neither. It's some kind of deformity within the coral tissue.
 
What are your magnesium levels? I've had the same type of growth and people attributed it to high magnesium.
 
Magnesium is 1350 . I've read where people have attributed this to overdoses of magnesium and I believe calcium also. My levels have always been stable.
 
What are your magnesium levels? I've had the same type of growth and people attributed it to high magnesium.

From what I have read these growths are not uncommon and pretty harmless. Nobody seems to know the cause though . Do you still have a coral with the growth? If so did it go away?

Thinking of cutting it off. Haven't heard of anyone doing that though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new