Growth on Red Planet ( pic )

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very healthy Red Planet colony, only problem is It has a tumor looking growth that's probably about 1" in diameter. You can't see in the pic but there are small bubble looking things on the growth.

I can't find much information on this but I also have a frag of Miyagi Tort which looks like it is developing something similar. All other SPS Are fine.

Tank Info:
70 Gallon 30x30x18H
8x24 watt ATI Sunpower

Alk 8.2 ( Hanna checker)
Calcium 420 ( Salifert )
Mag 1350 ( Salifert )

I run Ecobak Biopellets nitrates <5 according to Salifert Phosphates .02 ( Hanna ULR )

Here's a iphone pic:

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the Tort. Growth is at the bottom center of frag. Small bubble like growths.

image.jpg

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a slit at the top of each growth? If so, it is small barnacles. If the "bubbles" are hollow at the top it could be vermetid snails.

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm familiar with both those and it's neither. It's some kind of deformity within the coral tissue.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your magnesium levels? I've had the same type of growth and people attributed it to high magnesium.

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is 1350 . I've read where people have attributed this to overdoses of magnesium and I believe calcium also. My levels have always been stable.

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your magnesium levels? I've had the same type of growth and people attributed it to high magnesium.

From what I have read these growths are not uncommon and pretty harmless. Nobody seems to know the cause though . Do you still have a coral with the growth? If so did it go away?

Thinking of cutting it off. Haven't heard of anyone doing that though.

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a fantastic looking planet

Thanks! My eye is always drawn to the " tumor" lol. I did a little surgery today and removed it, we'll see what happens.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back