GSP closed after feeding

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 days ago I got my first coral for my tank a gsp. It has been open fully for 6 days and has even started to spread out a bit. A couple hours ago I used a pipette to squeeze some seachem phytoplankton out at it.
I think it’s normal. It slowly closed, and it now only has a few polyps partially out. I tried to slowly let the phyto fall onto it when I fed, I wonder if their was too much flow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They do best under moderate light and water flow.
What you have is feeding response and is normal although these guys dont require feedings.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this too. Usually for a day or two after feeding, the polyps don't come back out.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it not always opening. Mine will take take few days occasionally where the polyps stay retracted. I never target feed mine. GSP are very hardy, unless there is something really wrong with your tank they should be fine.

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely nothing to worry about. I will typically feed them when I feed the rest of the corals because I like the feeding response, they will close up after. Sometimes they close up as the lights ramp down and other times stay open all night. They're on their own schedule.

I have two frags glued to the back wall and I have seen one of them fully extended and the other completely closed up at the same time. When they are closed, I will sometimes take the opportunity to start blowing away detritus that has gathered up in between the polyps.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really hard to kill star polyps. I wouldn't worry about anything besides boiling them, or total darkness for 2 months to kill them.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past two days it’s around 3/4 open the side which isn’t open seems to have new growth, which has two white dots which should turn into polyps. Is it normal for that side to be closed, and is this new growth?

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past two days it’s around 3/4 open the side which isn’t open seems to have new growth, which has two white dots which should turn into polyps. Is it normal for that side to be closed, and is this new growth?

Yes, the new polyps look like little white pimples when they start out. Do you have any fish or inverts? The polyps will retract when bothered. All sounds completely normal :)

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the new polyps look like little white pimples when they start out. Do you have any fish or inverts? The polyps will retract when bothered. All sounds completely normal :)
Two clowns one firefish. Couple astrea snails and blue legged hermits. All reef safe. Half is open and the side which is closed is the one with the new growth, so I think it’s just normal.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back