GSP not fully extending,

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My GSP is normally open 24/7, but it was closed up and now some polyps have started to open slightly. Nothing in my tank has changed. They have good light and good flow, the only thing they done before closing, was they seemed to go through a huge growth spurt over the rock island.

Ca: 420
Alk: 9.2
Mag: 1360
Nitrate: 10
Po4, I dunno, I can’t read the tests properly but it’s, I think, 0.05

There also looks to be a milky substance emitting from the matting, you can kind of see it in this photo,

3A780FC2-4F7F-47FF-9034-E92C0F6F01C8.jpeg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do that too sometimes. But no white milk. When my no3 drops to zero they close up. I dose no3 and someties they open up. Also when i run ozone too long i believe it irritates them and they open up whenni turn it off. Could be low po4 for you. Ive also dosed amino acid blends and they open a lot.

Pavonatech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the picture, but if you're having an algae bloom, they wont open. When I had high phosphates I had to use a turkey baster to clear off the algae. They opened right up after

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No algae bloom, even when I had an algae bloom they stayed open for me, I’ll test phosphates again and try to see if that maybe a cause, but it’s unusual for them to be expelling a white milky substance. I don’t believe it to be zooxanthellae as that s generally Brown.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be spawning. Maybe?

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but it’s stopped emitting the milky substance and the polyps have started to all come out, not quite the same length, but huge improvement.

Quite strange and I never made any adjustments. Dispite being a little invasive, I do actually like GSP

Giancarlo Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my case i changed them from a 16g nano where they where absolutely thriving to a 90g that i setup without any fish or coral for almost 3 months until the cycle ended... they have not expand at all only show a tiny bit of extension but they have been closed for at least 2 to 3 months, everything else like the zoas and the mushrooms or the clovers are opening.... :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back