GSP Won’t Open

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 18 months ago, I glued a GSP frag to my back wall. It’s grown to take over a large space but only a small portion has green extended polyps. About 90% of it is just black growth with no green polyps. Has anyone ever seen this? I’m confused why this doesn’t look like a green lawn.

Tank is a 2 year old mixed reef. Most corals are thriving. Parameters:
1400 Mg
440 Ca
9.0 Alk
8.3 pH
0.10 phos
5.0 nitrate
1.026 sg

Thanks in advance for your attention!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably need to post some images and more details like lighting, flow, etc. I have a friend with GSP that is completely taking over the back of his tank (I can't get any to thrive at the moment).

OP
OP
J

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7081.jpeg

Here’s the best I could get. I outlined where the flesh is but you can see there’s only a few polyps. Coincidentally I just received my ICP test results this morning. Appears my aluminum is high which could impact this guy and a finger leather I have been struggling with for some time now.

I’ve read to remove any ceramic media and just do water changes and it should correct itself. Not sure if this is the problem but I’ll give it a try and see what happens over the next few months.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7081.jpeg

Here’s the best I could get. I outlined where the flesh is but you can see there’s only a few polyps. Coincidentally I just received my ICP test results this morning. Appears my aluminum is high which could impact this guy and a finger leather I have been struggling with for some time now.

I’ve read to remove any ceramic media and just do water changes and it should correct itself. Not sure if this is the problem but I’ll give it a try and see what happens over the next few months.
Is it in a shaded or no flow area? I haven't tested or changed water in months and nothing will kill my gsp.

OP
OP
J

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good flow. I can see the open polyps moving. Not too strong either, I have some hammers near it that are fully open. I think it gets enough light but I know the back wall doesn't get direct rays. However, I see GSP on a lot of back walls of tanks without issue. I'm thinking it's chemistry related or perhaps bacterial? I removed the ceramic media and continue water changes. I'll add some activated carbon too just in case there's a toxin in the water.

Funny how such a hardy coral is struggling while I have other more sensitive ones doing fine. Years ago I lost a small colony of pulsing xenia. I was happy to lose it, but I was also confused how a "weed" like that could die but other tougher to keep corals were fine.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is in shade. All that I have seen is purple not black. Yours being black looks like it is in shade not in the light. At least that's how the image looks to me. I have some starting on the back wall but mine is getting a lot of light. It will typically only grow toward the light so when placing on the back wall it's best to put it down low as it will grow upward toward the light.
20230822_141926.jpg

OP
OP
J

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is in shade. All that I have seen is purple not black. Yours being black looks like it is in shade not in the light. At least that's how the image looks to me. I have some starting on the back wall but mine is getting a lot of light. It will typically only grow toward the light so when placing on the back wall it's best to put it down low as it will grow upward toward the light.
20230822_141926.jpg
I was advised it would only grow up towards the light, so I placed it lower on the wall. I guess mine is dark purple... just looks black with the blue lights on. Any chance a fish could be eating it? I'll have to pay attention and see if anybody is bothering it.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised it would only grow up towards the light, so I placed it lower on the wall. I guess mine is dark purple... just looks black with the blue lights on. Any chance a fish could be eating it? I'll have to pay attention and see if anybody is bothering it.
I’ve never had reef safe fish bother mine.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a fish that eats it, I'll pay top dollar.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
About 18 months ago, I glued a GSP frag to my back wall. It’s grown to take over a large space but only a small portion has green extended polyps. About 90% of it is just black growth with no green polyps. Has anyone ever seen this? I’m confused why this doesn’t look like a green lawn.

Tank is a 2 year old mixed reef. Most corals are thriving. Parameters:
1400 Mg
440 Ca
9.0 Alk
8.3 pH
0.10 phos
5.0 nitrate
1.026 sg

Thanks in advance for your attention!
Biggest issue is flow, followed by sediment on them, high phosphate and lights too dim
A few gentle blasts from a turkey baster will perk them up. In the process if you see dust flying off of them with baster- thats your culprit

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be glad and of good cheer...one of my LFS is doing a complete tank rebuild on a RS 250 Reefer...reason is GSP looked awesome covered whole back of tank, massive Colonies of pulsing Xenias etc, after a few years, GSP took over returns, Powerheads etc.. and nutrients went crazy...so the tank is still active, but they are gradually removing all GSP and Xenia to redo tank. I tried it and failed, but am glad that is the case now!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back