• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Guam strain LARGE rose bubble tip anemones (RBTA)

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had this strain of rose bubble tips now for over 15 years... unlike most bubble tips, they grow large, show no green, and grow long tentacles that don't really show bubble tips. They are a very bright red... my photos are under 20K Radium metal halides. They are similar to "black widow" anemones, although they show little to no speckling on the base, and I've had them much longer than black widows have been around. This strain is originally from Guam... these are all natural splits... I don't feed them, don't cut them, and much prefer these to other bubble tips. I have a few of these available... all 6" to 8" in diameter... $250 each with UPS Next Day Air shipping included. Add frags from my frag sale thread and pay no extra shipping on the frags...

Thanks,

Copps

A shot from 2008 in one of my 54 corners...
qGu0jBM.jpg

And a more recent shot in my 240 mixed reef... they are to the left next to my gigantea collection...
DZXtcgt.jpg

lkIzr9c.jpg

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful anemone and reminds me of one I had a long time ago. Grew large and was a favorite. If I had room I would buy one right now.

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from Guam I’m curious how you got this strain to the states? Don’t mean this in a bad way just makes me want to get it more now

OP
OP
C

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m from Guam I’m curious how you got this strain to the states? Don’t mean this in a bad way just makes me want to get it more now
Hafa adai! I'm not sure how it originally came here but it was a long time ago now that I think about it more... the first shot with the anthias in it was from 2008 and those had grown from my original anemone... I had this anemone in our first apartment, which we moved out of in 2004. , so I got it before then in the early 2000s. This strain was distributed locally here in the DC area and a few guys had it then... it peaked my interest then also as I've worked on a submarine trainer for years and Guam interested me as a bunch of guys I worked with had been there. I've since traveled there many times in more recent years working on the Navy Base. Beautiful place!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking anemones. I have been keeping BTAs myself zince at least 2003. I currently have at least 36 in my display tank.
In my experience all bubble tips will grow to 14". As far as bubbles or long flowing tenticals goes, no seems to know the cause. I have had the same anemones have either or and even both sometimes. Green streaks and speckles come and go as well. That is why I do not get all the hype about certain BTAs being called something different because at that point in time it has either one. Again I have had mine have these features at sometimes and not at others.

OP
OP
C

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice looking anemones. I have been keeping BTAs myself zince at least 2003. I currently have at least 36 in my display tank.
In my experience all bubble tips will grow to 14". As far as bubbles or long flowing tenticals goes, no seems to know the cause. I have had the same anemones have either or and even both sometimes. Green streaks and speckles come and go as well. That is why I do not get all the hype about certain BTAs being called something different because at that point in time it has either one. Again I have had mine have these features at sometimes and not at others.
Thanks, but not looking to make this a discussion thread. I've been in the saltwater hobby since I was a kid in the 80s, and have kept many anemones through the years... I won't speak of the anemones you've kept as I don't have experience with them. All bubble tips are not the same, and go well beyond Entacmaea quadricolor. But again, not trying to make this for sale thread a discussion. I'm explaining my experience with this strain for over 15 years.

Thanks,

Copps

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be black widows if you can share close up of the disc. My black widows can grow up to 6 or 7" before they think of splitting. From what it looks they seems very happy. Lot of people do not fully understand that they really need very intense light...otherwise they bubble.
2 ways to tell a blackwidow:
1. They have webbings
2. They have a red foot, other BTA do not have that but have a very pale foot.

OP
OP
C

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dropping the price on these as listed above (6" to 8") to $150 shipped UPS Next Day Air as I have few as listed above that need to go...

I also have this MASSIVE specimen that opens to about 16" to 18" across... you can judge in this pic as there is a one foot ruler on the bottom of the photo... I can do this guy for $225 shipped. This is the largest one I can remember and really needs to be displayed somewhere... had Sanjay by a couple of months ago as we've been friends for years... he knows this strain well also and we concluded it was brought in in the late 90s.

Again, add frags and pay no extra shipping...

RAnFTVP.jpg

Thanks,

Copps

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These could very well be black widows by the way.. "could". My black widows also get very large like 12-13". No bubbles could be because you have high flow and they love it. I have very high flow too.

Regarding the webbings/markings, black widows when they get too large under intense light (like halides) could loose the webbings.
I had mine under reef breeders at like 400 par and webbings were gone. Changed to radions at very low intensity and viola the webbings are back ..the very same anemones no change.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These could very well be black widows by the way.. "could". My black widows also get very large like 12-13". No bubbles could be because you have high flow and they love it. I have very high flow too.

Regarding the webbings/markings, black widows when they get too large under intense light (like halides) could loose the webbings.
I had mine under reef breeders at like 400 par and webbings were gone. Changed to radions at very low intensity and viola the webbings are back ..the very same anemones no change.
How many times are you going to comment the same thing lol They are not black widows

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times are you going to comment the same thing lol They are not black widows
Sorry not sure if you are the thread starter or what? Sorry to offend you if this your nem or it is not lol.
Sounds like you are pretty sure and checked them under a microscope. It is just very easy for everyone to say my nem is unique, a unicorn and you will not find it anywhere else. Anyway sorry if someone is offended. I mean he said they are similar to black widows or they could be Shermans... but never mind lol.
All of the attributes he describes and the photo fit the bill. The guy is using MH...anyways goodbye.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back