Guess who flooded the floor!!!

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had turned the ON the RO about 2pm to top off while I dipped some corals, I had taken reservoir off last night to clean where there was a little scaling around the top from the Buffer addition.
WELL GUESS WHO DIDNT TURN IT OFF TIL 5:30 WHEN I WALKED THRU A LAKE BY THE ENTERTAINMENT CENTER!??

ITS ME IF YOU DIDNT KNOW

So I plan on setting some fans by the surface of the display and the sump to help speed evaporation. Slowly raising salinity would be best I would guess in this situation.

Am I missing something in what I should do?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear :( sounds like you're taking a step in the right direction to get it handled. Maybe set a timer on your phone for future reference so you don't walk away and forget it? That's what I used to do.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one time I do this..... learning experience I guess!

6e21e48b1d9dda492d83bab6e6196673.jpg

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plans good.
Yeeeeaaaaah my wife doesn't "allow" me to refill my ATO or tank during a water change and do anything else any more :) Oh I'm scrub some algae at the same time, glue some frags downs while I wait.....She was tired of asking me why I'm all of a sudden running for towels

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ve got it.

Now, why manually turn on the ATO? Why not just let it do its thing automatically?

Normally do, had removed reservoir to clean and had not been able to re-install it. Was getting ready to put it back and let it refill when I stepped in the lake....

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had turned the ON the RO about 2pm to top off while I dipped some corals, I had taken reservoir off last night to clean where there was a little scaling around the top from the Buffer addition.
WELL GUESS WHO DIDNT TURN IT OFF TIL 5:30 WHEN I WALKED THRU A LAKE BY THE ENTERTAINMENT CENTER!??

ITS ME IF YOU DIDNT KNOW

So I plan on setting some fans by the surface of the display and the sump to help speed evaporation. Slowly raising salinity would be best I would guess in this situation.

Dude... Ive done this over a dozen times already... Ive ruined out hardwood floors and nice cabinets in our laundry room... I always get sidetracked and forget... I am terrible with that... I finally hooked up a float valve because it was constantly happening... The float valve has been a godsend... should have done that from the beginning... dont feel bad! Hahahahahha!!!

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get flashbacks in the middle of the night at like 2 or 3 in rhe morning no joke... ill jump out of bed and run downstairs cause I think I left the water running... my wife freaks out like someones breaking into the house and Im coming to everyone’s rescue...... nope, just worried about flooding the house again... sorry

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't kick yourself...we have ALL done things that just seem to happen. It's just life in the fish lane.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How low is the salinity?
What critters are in the tank?

Rain/floods in estuaries, tidepools, and shallow nearshore reefs can experience local, relatively rapid salinity changes. If your tank salinity is super low, i think I would consider rapid replacement of salt to bring it closer to your normal salinity.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s been a while since the last post but I do this crap all the time. I don’t have an ATO yes so I manually refil using a 5gal jug. When the jug gets empty I refil with my ro unit. Well I just turn it on and stick it on the top of the jug.

I have forgot about it being on countless times and end up with the same. Huge amount of water running all over my floor. One time is was so bad I had to pull my washer and dryer out because the entire laundry room was full.
I have a 100g per day unit and I left the thing on for 5 hours

VTBig053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've flooded the basement floor a few times with RO/DI because I forget to set an alarm when I am running the filter. I have been putting off setting up a container with a float switch, but I really should get around to it and make life easier. Never anything catastrophic, just annoying to clean up. Especially when it gets under boxes or into the carpet nearby. I did leave a small water mark on the carpet outside the utility area door. Oops!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ITS ME IF YOU DIDNT KNOW

I've done that more times than I can count.

Welshheathen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So relatable! I don’t use an ato so I still use buckets but I hooked my unit up in the basement bathroom and put the bucket in the bathtub. If I forget, no harm no foul except for running up my water bill!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back