Gulf Live Rock Order & Review

warped_insanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone! Just thought I would share a few pictures and my experience from my 55lb order from Gulf Live Rock. I had the rock shipped overnight to the airport and just picked it up yesterday afternoon. Overall, I'm very impressed with the quality of the rock. I would recommend the overnight, pick up at airport option if you can. I have very little die off (thus far) and added directly to my main tank after a quick saltwater rinse. My tank has been up about a month prior to me adding this and I had already completed my cycle. No detectable ammonia or nitrites as of a few hours ago, but I'm checking twice a day just in case. As other have said, the rock is very dense and very heavy. I had a bit of a challenge trying to aquascape with my existing rock, but I think it turned out pretty good overall.

Tank Shot

IMG_7915.jpg

A couple of pieces have this coral - but this is the largest, probably 3" across. Any help with an ID?

IMG_7909.jpg

Lots of macro, coralline, and clams - all clams are alive so far.

IMG_7910.jpg

More macro, coralline, and some clams. I also saw a few small bristle stars and some bristle worms last night when I was checking it all out with a flashlight. I hope more things start making appearances over the next few days!

IMG_7911.jpg

IMG_7912.jpg

Gorgonian - I need help with this - it obviously has parts that are dead (was like this before I added to tank) Any chance this will live, or should I just go ahead and remove?

IMG_7913.jpg

And the big surprise swimming in the bottom of the bag. A mantis shrimp, about 1 1/2". I've always LOVED these guys, but from what I read they can be really bad in a reef tank, but this is a gulf species, so I also understand they don't get nearly as large. I debated taking the risk and tossing him in the main tank, but for now he resides in the sump until I can figure out the direction I want to go with him. Any feedback from those that had one of these hitchhike into their tank?

IMG_7901.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantis is probably an N. Wennerae. I’ve had at least 3 come in from tbs rock over the years. I’ve left them be in my main display for years without much of an issue. Feed them and they generally don’t take out the cleanup crew. Well, not *too* much.

OP
OP
warped_insanity

warped_insanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where at the airport do i pick up? Im gonna call the airport and see where i pick up air frieght... id like to 1 day ship mine.
D
I’m in Houston and it was actually super easy. The freight flys into a separate location away from our main airport here. I got there about 30 minutes after the flight landed and had to wait another 20 minutes or so before it was brought from the plane to the pick-up facility.

OP
OP
warped_insanity

warped_insanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantis is probably an N. Wennerae. I’ve had at least 3 come in from tbs rock over the years. I’ve left them be in my main display for years without much of an issue. Feed them and they generally don’t take out the cleanup crew. Well, not *too* much.
Im ok with that - he might just go into the main tank after all

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gorgonian is a Tan Candelabra Gorgonian, a nice one too. The first coral is obviously a type of open lobed brain coral, not sure what species but it's absolutely gorgeous and I'm jealous ahaha. If you'd like I can try and find out what species it is

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back