What’s the best source of live rock?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I just got for my 75.
Not cheap, but looking forward to the new tank.
IMG_8824.jpeg
IMG_8823.jpeg

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking for a slightly cheaper option.
If you want to go cheap then dry rock and a few pieces of live rock is your best option. Live rock is very expensive no matter where you go or get it. It’s heavier than dry plus has to be shipped with water or saturated paper to keep what is alive somewhat viable. A lot of people go that route and have much success.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I always have to get roasted on my own thread??????!?!?!?!?!?

If I had to guess it is your expectations. Aquaculture live rock, oceanic, is a premium. There is a lot going on that you are not catching on that goes into the price. The federal lease, licenses, purchase of the rock, age and managing, boats, maintenance, collecting, and so forth.

You have been provided smaller options that are not of 20 lbs and you are balking at it. I get it and understand but people have given you options. You just do not care for them. TBS, KP, etc. Reach out to them and see what sort of minimum order you can get. No matter what you will pay for shipping over night as other will give you a mini cycle.

Since budget seems to be key for you my suggestion is to go to a LFS and buy some rock there. It will be cheaper per pound and you won't have to pay shipping. It won't be as good but if your LFS is worth anything it will at least be cycled and have the foundation on it.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinacultured not aquacultured.

Use whatever term you are comfortable with but it is not going to change the price per pound or shipping requirement. LFS is your best option. Second best would be to purchase from a local reefer. You can also buy dry and cycle it on your own.

I just was asking if you know anyone that sells live rock.

No, you actually asked "What’s the best source of live rock preferably gulf rock and not a ridiculous price."

You have been provided several vendors and price points. It was also suggested that you go to the local fish stores and see what they have. Now you may not have any near you but maybe within driving distance say 50 or 100 miles? We are doing what we can to properly set expectations for you but you are not budging. Oceanic live rock comes with a premium per pound and shipping overhead. There is no way to get around it unless you are near the business and can pick it up. Then you are just paying per pound and save on shipping.

What more do you want? Check out the LFS, maybe a local club, hobbyist, can sell some, buy smaller amount to seed, or cycle your own.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of live rock options. In your situation look for someone local thats breaking down a system.
This is not an inexpensive hobby but you know that, lol.
50% live and 50% dead works well. I did it on my old 120.
If your new to the hobby do some more research, please.
Imo, amount spent on live rock will be the best $'s you spend on your system long term.
Good luck!

Last edited:

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want real live rock to just seed your tank. And are okay with just a small rock, just buy an Aussie imported leather coral.

If you buy a wild collected leather, the rock base it is attached to will be live Aussie reef live rock, the real deal. It won’t need to be cured, the coral was in water all the time.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of live rock options. In your situation look for someone local thats breaking down a system.
This is not an inexpensive hobby but you know that, lol.
50% live and 50% dead works well. I did it on my old 120.
If your new to the hobby do some more research, please.
Imo, amount spent on live rock will be the best $'s you spend on your system long term.
Good luck!
Preach! The $$ you spend will leave you with less questions later.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back