PH problems

Aidan_823

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don’t know if this is normal or not, as it advances into the springtime my ph seems to be going down rapidly. I don’t know if it has to do with the weather, but during the wintertime, the PH was about 8.1/8.3. Now it’s about 8.1 at most and usually 7.8. My corals don’t seem to like the change at all. My scoly especially. How would I raise this safely? I never really paid attention to my ph lol

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a fresh air change in your house?
Going from no A/C to having it on might have made a difference.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your windows been opened or closed more? (Open - higher pH, Closed - lower pH)

Has your alk changed at all?

Any new equipment like calcium reactor / change in protein Skimmer?

What are you using to measure pH?

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am going through the same thing myself, it's the change in weather/air, I am opening my windows more and my PH does improve.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you are but insouthern states the late fall, winter and spring don't have the AC run as much. This causes very low airflow in a sealed home. When the AC runs it reduces humidity as well as sucks air in through cracks/opening or pushes air out - regardless there is air exchange with all of that CFM from the AC unit. I imagine similar up north, in addition to chimney vents and what not.

The fix is to increase fresh air, that can be done via a dedicated fresh air intake, with an inline fan and filter, a dehumidifier with a fresh air intake, an ERV/HRV, or just simply opening windows - not always possible or best in all climates.

Being in the south, a dehumidifier with fresh air intake has not only reduced indoor RH closer to 50% causing my house to be more comfortable but also helped increase pH. A sealed house with no air exchange and a fully family/pets can easily bump up to 1200ppm or more.

Using this calculator :
https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EquilibriumPh.php you can see the difference of 400ppm 8.28pH and 1200ppm 7.86pH. Additionally the more surface agitation like for an SPS tank you have, the less chance you have winning the pH battle with kalk or scrubbers. I do believe there to be a positive feedback loop as well, when you get your indoor CO2 closer to fresh air, things grow faster, or at least consume more (observable by increase in alk demand) which in turn pushes your highs, higher over time (also observable).

I'm a huge believer in lower indoor CO2 results in higher pH and faster growth, and worth chasing for the health benefits as well. I do dose kalk and run a scrubber and see 8.2-8.6 regularly, but without the fresh air, the kalk and scrubber were like throwing buckets of water on a forest fire.

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a very similar issue and I have to assume it's due to weather and heat. I have a line running outside through a CO2 scrubber to my skimmer. I do know that it makes a difference but my pH goes down to about 7.8 at night and tops out around 8.1 during the day. If I can open windows it goes higher but when the outside temp is above 80 or so the house can get real warm, so I dont do that too much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don’t know if this is normal or not, as it advances into the springtime my ph seems to be going down rapidly. I don’t know if it has to do with the weather, but during the wintertime, the PH was about 8.1/8.3. Now it’s about 8.1 at most and usually 7.8. My corals don’t seem to like the change at all. My scoly especially. How would I raise this safely? I never really paid attention to my ph lol

Did you close windows?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a very similar issue and I have to assume it's due to weather and heat. I have a line running outside through a CO2 scrubber to my skimmer. I do know that it makes a difference but my pH goes down to about 7.8 at night and tops out around 8.1 during the day. If I can open windows it goes higher but when the outside temp is above 80 or so the house can get real warm, so I dont do that too much.

Heat alone is not an appreciable effect. CO2 in the room air is the primary seasonal effect. Mostly windows open vs closed, but more wind also reduces CO2, as does a greater temp differential between inside and out ( in either direction).

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back