Gulf live rock?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered Gulf Live rock a few months ago. I had it cycling and I noticed lots of Aiptasia. I ended up throwing it away and ordered some from KP Aquatics. The rock I got from them had no Aiptasia that I could find.

That' too bad. :( The cryptic sponges are the most important addition removing labile DOC 1000X faster than bacterioplankton. While I don't find it difficult to deal with aiptasia if it was an issue the rock could have been used in a sump or refugium.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 35 lbs back in september with the free shipping.

The Good:
Its really good live rock - lots of coralline, some macro, lots of sponges.
No Aiptasia.

The Bad:
Communication with them is terrible. My first shipment was destroyed by FedEx, and it took filing a paypal claim to get GLR to even respond - and then several weeks to ship. Just a very unpleasant transaction.

I think I got two 'shelfy' rocks, and then 5 pieces that are basically just round. They're really dense, and I wasn't able to break any of them apart - so tough from an aquascape perspective.

Basically nothing survived - no urchins, no worms, no snails, no corals. I was pretty aggressive with water changes and such - rock has always been skimmed. SO I don't think there was anything more I could have done.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will order today and hopefully get it shipped out monday or tueday

Post some pics please!

Also, anyone know how to actually get in touch with KP Aquatics? No email or phone listed on their site. I filled out the contact info a week ago without a response....however I realize a storm was possibly headed (and did) their way.

Also, about 20 years ago I purchased 20lbs from TBS shipped in water to Portland, OR SW Air and it came in, in amazing shape...really no die off. However, it did have three mantis in that bit of rock.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a 125 with Tampa Bay Saltwater rock and sand and couldn,t be happier.
No real cycle and full of life.
It's shipped in water so there is no dieoff.
You may have been one of the last TBS deliveries.... jealous!! I had an order for live sand in from them when they pulled the plug. Debating if I should order live sand from Gulf Live Rock. It's the same bay... how are you liking the sand. Was it worth it or would you just bag it and call it a day?

fisher99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have been one of the last TBS deliveries.... jealous!! I had an order for live sand in from them when they pulled the plug. Debating if I should order live sand from Gulf Live Rock. It's the same bay... how are you liking the sand. Was it worth it or would you just bag it and call it a day?
The live sand is well worth it.This is my second set up with Tampa Bay and been very happy both times.
If I couldn't get stuff from Tampa Bay, I would order from Salty Bottom. Same area of the Gulf.
I've heard too much negative about Gulf Live Rock and all good about Salty Bottom.

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will get some of that salty bottom rock for my next project. I would do the 25lb combo just because it has free shipping involved for me

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live sand is well worth it.This is my second set up with Tampa Bay and been very happy both times.
If I couldn't get stuff from Tampa Bay, I would order from Salty Bottom. Same area of the Gulf.
I've heard too much negative about Gulf Live Rock and all good about Salty Bottom.
How is Salty Bottom? I am thinking of ordering some but haven't heard much from them

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been ordering from Gulfliverock.com for years and will be pacing an order again next week. Needless to say I've been very happy with their live rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back