Gumdrop Goby feeding help

TinyWood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my gumdrop goby (scorpion fish) eats shrimp and fish cut into lil pieces he is such a cool lil dude but I must admit I dont know how much to feed him like do I judge it by pellets if I was to say how mini pellets of meat should he get for size reference hes about a inch long
20200415_074419.jpg

Last edited:

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to judge really without seeing how much you are feeding but when I've kept these in the past (in a lfs situation) I just added food normally and they ate what they wanted. Most days they darted out to take a few mysis but other days they just didn't really seem interested (typical predators really). I always fed frozen food and they probably averaged a few mysis a day but you have to remember that any pods that pass by will probably be munched as well. So I wouldn't over think it and let them decide.

OP
OP
TinyWood

TinyWood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he isn't in a tank that has pods hes in a nano with a pair of clowns I target feed him I will video tonight thanks for trying to help

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite a chunk of food for a little fish to take, which is rather impressive. When I fed I was feeding smaller food items than that, so everyday feeding was fine but if you are feeding that amount then I would treat it more like a large predator and only feed a few times a week (for instance i feed my marine betta every other day with the odd extra no food day mixed in) .
A general basic rule of thumb for predators is to feed a piece of food about 6 times the size of their eye in one siting. It's basically enough to get a little belly bulge but not enough to over feed. It's going to be hard to see a belly bulge in such a cryptic fish but it's got a great feeding response, so congrats on that.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed smaller pieces until he gets his full, seeing a little bulge in his belly, or just letting you know he's full by retreating. I like feeding guys like this every 2-3 days, being reclusive he'll let you know when he's hungry by flashing around and coming out more.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back