Gurgle busters?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to learn more about these devices and how they really work. I have an overflow and it is quite noisy and I’d like to fix that without limiting my flow too much by closing my gate valves. Anyone have some good insight or experience on building a gurgle buster?

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one years ago for a 40br. It worked really well once it settled in, though I would recommend having an emergency standpipe for backup. It’s been a really long time, but I bet if you googled “hoffer gurgle buster” you can still find a parts list and directions.

Herbie and bean animal designs weren’t around when I made mine, and now that they are, I’d have a hard time doing anything different. I made a bean animal on my current tank and it is superior to the gurgle buster in every way.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s asking because he saw one on my sump settling tank, and I was too busy to update my thread...

Dude, I updated my thread, lol, sorry fir the wait

It’s part of my sump system where I have 2x29g feeding into a 125. My DT has a BA system running into the basement where the sump is.

I wouldn’t do it on a DT, since a BA system is truly silent (unless you have a particularly ****** designed overflow box that suffers from ‘weir drop’...)

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some more info and pictures of your overflow would help. But yes ^ google it and it will show you how to make some. pretty simply. I ran one on a 55g for two years no issues, rather quiet.

I am herbie or get lost these days tho when i build a tank

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some more info and pictures of your overflow would help. But yes ^ google it and it will show you how to make some. pretty simply. I ran one on a 55g for two years no issues, rather quiet.

I am herbie or get lost these days tho when i build a tank
This is my overflow.

81ADC10E-1BE0-49E9-8A10-9115BBD8DF58.jpeg

9FFD90E3-739C-4A5D-8AE3-90CC5CC18DA3.jpeg

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s asking because he saw one on my sump settling tank, and I was too busy to update my thread...

Dude, I updated my thread, lol, sorry fir the wait

It’s part of my sump system where I have 2x29g feeding into a 125. My DT has a BA system running into the basement where the sump is.

I wouldn’t do it on a DT, since a BA system is truly silent (unless you have a particularly ****** designed overflow box that suffers from ‘weir drop’...)
I just wanted more insight rather than just the two vids you listed. Sorry if you are offended I didn’t wait for your response to ask others for help.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted more insight rather than just the two vids you listed. Sorry if you are offended I didn’t wait for your response to ask others for help.

Not offended in the least- sorry it came off that way, I apologize.

Been a crazy busy few days and I’m still kinda rushing around. I hope you find the info useful

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not offended in the least- sorry it came off that way, I apologize.

Been a crazy busy few days and I’m still kinda rushing around. I hope you find the info useful
I appreciate it. Thank you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back