Gurgling & sucking noise by the sump. Help

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 360g with dual internal Durso overflows. The drain is 1.5" and output is 3/4." The 1.5" drain has an 90 degree elbow after Bulkhead into clear tubing. Then goes to plastic desk drawers for filtration. See pic and vid.

I see so much air and bubbles inside the clear tubing. Making loud gurgling and sucking noise right before sump. Like a constant toilet flush. I search this site also and tried some methods to no avail.

I tried putting airline hose into then air vent on the durso elbow. Adjusting it up and down. Even adjust air valve. Makes it worst bc the internal overflows makes sucking noise.

Do you do think putting a ball valve on the drain will help? This will reduce the gph D3C4D40D-CC40-40E6-A1CD-6FEE7B2116C2.jpeg E135CC38-A378-4BE6-B045-A65347DCA460.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3979.MOV
    38.9 MB

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like air is getting trapped in the low spots of the flexible tube... makecit a straight line on a downward angle...

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank I would either slow down the flow or increase pipe size

Brad Drollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to adjust your flow on the main circulation pump? Or does it have just one speed?

Brad Drollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the main circulation pump is not variable speed, you can install a ball valve on the return side going back into the aquarium. Try adjusting the flow with the ball valve and see if this helps with the noise.

One of the gauges you can use is adjust the flow so that the water level in the aquarium is flowing back into the overflow boxes at a height of about 1/3 - 1/2 the way up on the over flow slots or vents without the water rising in the overflow box so high that it begins to flow into the vented hole in the top.

Try adjusting the Durso pipe so the vented hole on top is about 1" from the top of the aquarium or glass lid. Be sure the vent is open and clear of any obstructions.

You may find that using schedule 40 pvc piping is better than the flexible tubing to help eliminate water surges and noise.

There are different ways to drain the water into your sump that can eliminate noise, depending on the type of sump you are using.

OP
OP
A

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the main circulation pump is not variable speed, you can install a ball valve on the return side going back into the aquarium. Try adjusting the flow with the ball valve and see if this helps with the noise.

One of the gauges you can use is adjust the flow so that the water level in the aquarium is flowing back into the overflow boxes at a height of about 1/3 - 1/2 the way up on the over flow slots or vents without the water rising in the overflow box so high that it begins to flow into the vented hole in the top.

Try adjusting the Durso pipe so the vented hole on top is about 1" from the top of the aquarium or glass lid. Be sure the vent is open and clear of any obstructions.

You may find that using schedule 40 pvc piping is better than the flexible tubing to help eliminate water surges and noise.

There are different ways to drain the water into your sump that can eliminate noise, depending on the type of sump you are using.

Attached is my elbow inside the overflow. Inside Overflow Box is quiet. If i touch the airvent hole, water level inside overflow box drops. New Sucking noise will be made.

I gotta figure the pipes leading to sump

The drain goes into another 90 into plastic drawers for mechanical filtertation, wet dry. I have two drawers inside the 100g rubbermiad sump.

C09FB94A-5A89-4724-BC24-A199CBEA90EA.jpeg 16CFAD83-6DCF-4DE0-A31A-BE0F64C68F0A.jpeg F9E85DCE-1591-4798-B7F5-30087DD381A3.png

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try sticking a small valve in the hole of your durso thus is the cap off the top of mine and can be adjusted for amount of air that gets in

15993729681484058315320958380634.jpg

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder if the spiral on that flexo is Creating a vortex and trying to suck more water than can fall

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the height is a big one of the durso they sometimes need playing with the u bend section IME needs to be about half in the water at the bend if that makes any sense it may need going up or down ever so slightly there maybe lots of air in the bend and may need going down a quarter inch so there is slightly more water going over hope this makes sense

IMG_20200906_073352.jpg

OP
OP
A

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the height is a big one of the durso they sometimes need playing with the u bend section IME needs to be about half in the water at the bend if that makes any sense it may need going up or down ever so slightly there maybe lots of air in the bend and may need going down a quarter inch so there is slightly more water going over hope this makes sense

IMG_20200906_073352.jpg

The air vent hole is about 1/4 level to the teeth of the overflow

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can it be moved up and down mine is in a rubber bh fitting and I can slide it up and down it’s worth a little playing with if it’s not bonded in place

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can it be moved up and down mine is in a rubber bh fitting and I can slide it up and down it’s worth a little playing with if it’s not bonded in place
And try covering the hole you made in top slightly with finger too sometimes these Durso need a bit fine tuning

Brad Drollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the Durso pipe is fine, and if the overflow box is quiet, than I would narrow it down to two possibilities.

Adjusting the flow or the gallons per hour: usually if the flow is too strong and the drains on the overflow boxes are not able to handle the flow the water level will rise in the overflow box, and can flood over the vent hole and then you will get sucking noise, but it would be obvious that the water level is too high. Looks like it is a new set up, so the drain pipes and overflow boxes should be fine.

Drain Hose: I had a customer that had flexible drain lines and they made a lot sloshing noises and sounded like the water was surging inside the hose. It might just be the flexible nature of the hose.
When I changed the flexible hose to rigid schedule 40 PVC the noise was gone.

Let us know how it goes, hope you find a solution. I will check back later today.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the Durso pipe is fine, and if the overflow box is quiet, than I would narrow it down to two possibilities.

Adjusting the flow or the gallons per hour: usually if the flow is too strong and the drains on the overflow boxes are not able to handle the flow the water level will rise in the overflow box, and can flood over the vent hole and then you will get sucking noise, but it would be obvious that the water level is too high. Looks like it is a new set up, so the drain pipes and overflow boxes should be fine.

Drain Hose: I had a customer that had flexible drain lines and they made a lot sloshing noises and sounded like the water was surging inside the hose. It might just be the flexible nature of the hose.
When I changed the flexible hose to rigid schedule 40 PVC the noise was gone.

Let us know how it goes, hope you find a solution. I will check back later today.
Good point I also had to add a couple of bends at the end of my return to slow it down

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back