Sump drain

Tonya F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to me dual overflow tank and sump. The previous owner drilled holes a few inches below the elbow on drain. The left side is pulsing, water raising and lowering and it gurgles at the air hole. Nose level 12/10. Sounds like a toilet flushing. Can anyone offer help or suggestions before I go crazy... 20231024_210244.jpg

Attachments

• 20231024_210214.mp4
    27.5 MB

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to me dual overflow tank and sump. The previous owner drilled holes a few inches below the elbow on drain. The left side is pulsing, water raising and lowering and it gurgles at the air hole. Nose level 12/10. Sounds like a toilet flushing. Can anyone offer help or suggestions before I go crazy... 20231024_210244.jpg
It sounds like it's draining too fast. Have you tried closing the valve a tiny bit?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tonya F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it's draining too fast. Have you tried closing the valve a tiny bit?
Didn't have valves on drain lines or return. My husband installed 1 on return so we could adjust pump. We now think we're going to put valves in drains to. Thankfully ours set up with only tap water for test run so easy to drain and redo if that's what we need to do at this point.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't have valves on drain lines or return. My husband installed 1 on return so we could adjust pump. We now think we're going to put valves in drains to. Thankfully ours set up with only tap water for test run so easy to drain and redo if that's what we need to do at this point.
A dual durso setup would not be my first (or even second) choice.

Upvote 0

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your setup, I'd have 1 drain act as the main return, and another as an emergency drain. Then tune that primary drain such that it maintains a water level in the overflow that reduces your sound.

The gurgling thats occuring is because the rate of draining increases as air leaves the plumbing until all the air is removed and then drains your tank till it can suck in air at the top reducing the rate of drain to below your return pump speed and restarts the draining/air sucking cycle.

1698390224220.png

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't have valves on drain lines or return. My husband installed 1 on return so we could adjust pump.
Yes. You can just valve down the pump until the drains are quiet. That's the easiest way.
We now think we're going to put valves in drains to.
Do NOT put valves on your drains unless you have extra emergency drains.

Converting to a Herbie, which is a siphon and emergency/trickle in each overflow box, is a good option. You would have to convert the returns to drains and then run a return over the top of the tank.

Upvote 0

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% this.

Since this is just tap water, you're in a position to weigh the option to not use a durso standpipe and consider a better solution.

Personally, bean animal overflow is the best of the best,

Realistically, you're going to be bound to what's comfortable to you and what you're capable of doing.

But if it were me, I wouldn't use durso, nor would I use a herbie.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tonya F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You can just valve down the pump until the drains are quiet. That's the easiest way.

Converting to a Herbie, which is a siphon and emergency/trickle in each overflow box, is a good option. You would have to convert the returns to drains and then run a return over the top of the tank.
I don't have emergency drain. We're also not comfortable drilling an additional hole in the tank. Lol. So no valves on drains to slow flow some?

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have emergency drain. We're also not comfortable drilling an additional hole in the tank. Lol.
You wouldn't have to drill. Run a PVC return over the back of the tank. Make both holes in the overflow drains. Done.
So no valves on drains to slow flow some?
Not unless you want a flood. You can slow the return with a valve all you want though.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back