OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added an xf230 to my 54g Corner Bowfront (I also have a EcoTech mp10) and it's added a nice additional flow to my tank. No issues with noise. I switched out one of the blades so I can run it in alternating gyre mode and I'm only running it at 20% and it's plenty of flow for my LPS.
IMG_3842.JPG
Awesome tank. Cant see the gyre in there but loving sea whips and great polyp extension on your lps. Unusual to see an apex on a tank this size, how are you finding it ?

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
youre welcome :) I have mine set at random mode with a 60% peak. Im still in the process of getting ahold of the right people to diagnose the alternating gyre malfunction. BUT what I didnt know is that there are two additional sides/motors that come with your gyre. You have to put one of those on to be able to run reverse and not just counter current. just an FYI
Yeah, have seen this mentioned in loads of comments before. Think a lot of people make this mistake.,

Mageau11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. Cant see the gyre in there but loving sea whips and great polyp extension on your lps. Unusual to see an apex on a tank this size, how are you finding it ?

Thanks! That pic was from last week. Just took this pic. My wife surprised me with the Apex for Christmas. This is my first tank and I'm looking to upgrade to a RS Reefer in the future, so figured I'd get aquatinted with the system on this tank. Loving it! I even used an old iPhone5 and turned it in to a dedicated webcam for $0.99 so I can look at the tank from anywhere.
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3880.JPG
IMG_3881.JPG

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That pic was from last week. Just took this pic. My wife surprised me with the Apex for Christmas. This is my first tank and I'm looking to upgrade to a RS Reefer in the future, so figured I'd get aquatinted with the system on this tank. Loving it! I even used an old iPhone5 and turned it in to a dedicated webcam for $0.99 so I can look at the tank from anywhere.
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3880.JPG
IMG_3881.JPG

Thats so cool with the apex and the iPhone. I have a reefer give my thread a read hopefully give you some tips when you do upgrade.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/james-wetton-reefer-525xl-build.275491/

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixing to get the 230 for my reefer 250 (36" tank), thought I read somewhere that when these gyre pumps are given power they startup at 100%. Is that a true statement?

Mageau11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixing to get the 230 for my reefer 250 (36" tank), thought I read somewhere that when these gyre pumps are given power they startup at 100%. Is that a true statement?

Mine powered up at 100% and blasted my tank, but I had watched their videos on how to change the mode and output, so I quickly changed the mode and power. Just make sure it's aimed away from your sandbed/coral, but not straight up either! Haha!

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two xf-230's on my Reefer425xl. Like other have stated figuring out the controller settings takes a minute but once your up and running the water movement can't be beat! I'm running the the 24hour preset O.G.C. - "Oceanic Gyre Cycle" at just 20% and still have some sand blowing....definitely worth it IMO

Oh dear... I'm just about to collect two XF250 Gyres for my Reefer 350...

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pleased with them. The instructions could be better (such as telling you clearly that OGC requires rotors to be changed). Currently using LTC up to 50%, which it rarely seems to hit, but water movement seems good and they are quiet. Sand is gradually moving away from the edges where it was piling up with the Vortechs and steadily making it's way back to the middle, which was down to the glass with the Vortechs. Hopefully it will even out nicely... or I'll end up with the opposite issue. ;)

I've got them no more than two inches below the water at each end of the Reefer 350.

As I have taken the backing off the tank I was considering mounting them vertically up against each side of the weir so they would barely show in the tank, purely for aesthetics. Is anyone running a pair like this? How is the flow and surface movement and what mode are you running?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered an xf230 for my 45g shallow Cad Lights. I'm interested to see if I can make it work in a 12" shallow tank with a sandbed.
@cnseekatz, how is this working for you? I just ordered a tank with the same dimensions as yours and am trying to figure out which powerheads to use.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the 230 over the weekend, as of right now the pump has a very audible noise. I have it ramping from 10-30%. I submitted a ticket with CoralVue and this is the response I got back from them -

How long has the pump been running? All pumps are noisy when first installed because they are brand new and the parts have not been coated with bacteria. As the pump breaks in and bacteria populates the surface of the pump, it acts as a natural lubricant that quiets down the pump substantially.

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two set up at opposite ends facing eachother about 2" from surface. Set on alternating pulse mode at 30% and that is plenty of water movement.

They start to get a little loud over 40% in my opinion but I have mine set to shut down to a constant 10% when my lights shut off at night. And my fans on lights match noise at 40%

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cnseekatz, how is this working for you? I just ordered a tank with the same dimensions as yours and am trying to figure out which powerheads to use.

Works great! I have it on the side of the tank, mounted horizontally to blow across the top of the tank. It's outperforming my twin MP10s by a lot. I have it set on 4 second bursts, maxing out at 40%. No sand storm because the blast is flat and can be aimed.

I can't speak to the long term durability, but I'm very pleased so far.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works great! I have it on the side of the tank, mounted horizontally to blow across the top of the tank. It's outperforming my twin MP10s by a lot. I have it set on 4 second bursts, maxing out at 40%. No sand storm because the blast is flat and can be aimed.

Thanks...this makes my decision even harder! My original plan was to go with two MP10s to keep any wires out of the tank. On my old 175g I had one of the 150 gyres on it and really liked the way it performed.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You wouldn't happen to have a video of it in you tank would you?

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pleased with them. The instructions could be better (such as telling you clearly that OGC requires rotors to be changed). Currently using LTC up to 50%, which it rarely seems to hit, but water movement seems good and they are quiet. Sand is gradually moving away from the edges where it was piling up with the Vortechs and steadily making it's way back to the middle, which was down to the glass with the Vortechs. Hopefully it will even out nicely... or I'll end up with the opposite issue. ;)

I've got them no more than two inches below the water at each end of the Reefer 350.

As I have taken the backing off the tank I was considering mounting them vertically up against each side of the weir so they would barely show in the tank, purely for aesthetics. Is anyone running a pair like this? How is the flow and surface movement and what mode are you running?
OGC requires rotors to be changed? I'm using OGC and didn't change rotors. Seems to be working? One side goes then the other side. I have two gyres though guess that is why? LTC I couldn't get below 40 on the speed and it was too much. But I'm not really even sure what the difference is between OGC and LTC ??

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my XF-250 on my 120G. Guess I'm still on the other side of the learning curve...I'm getting a ton of flow but not able to dial the volume down to a suitable level for my lps and smaller fish. Any suggestions, or directions would be greatly appreciated.
my bet would be that you're either using lunar tidal mode or oceanic gyre mode which only allow you to reduce maximum flow down to 40% which i also found too strong for my 120g with xf250's.
either dial in one of the basic modes (alternating gyre, random mode, ect) or put a little time into creating your own 24 hour program. that's basically what i did and my fish, corals and i are enjoying them a whole lot more now.

ElHemi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a d installed mine a few days ago. Way quieter than my mp40 and yes moves a ton of water. Mine is set at 30% max on a 48" tank. Differently no need for a second. So far so good.only time will tell I guess

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back