Gyre 250 cages rotating while running

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Gyre 250s and on one, one side is rotating down by itself and stirring up my sandbed. It happens every once in a while. I took it out this last weekend and gave it a good vinegar bath and after I put it in the tank the other side rotated up on its own and blew water out of my tank for about half hour. Needless to say it was a big mess. Both side rotate more freely than my other 250. What can I do to stop this?

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for your support, please kindly adjust the cages opening and it will turn the water flow direction.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for your support, please kindly adjust the cages opening and it will turn the water flow direction.
I have one that does this as well. I’ve tried adjusting them but they change direction on their own. Would replacing the o rings on the cage hold the cage more firmly in place?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, duh. That doesn't answer his question though. He's asking why the cages are rotating on their own and what can be done about this problem.

I have two Gyre 250s and on one, one side is rotating down by itself and stirring up my sandbed. It happens every once in a while. I took it out this last weekend and gave it a good vinegar bath and after I put it in the tank the other side rotated up on its own and blew water out of my tank for about half hour. Needless to say it was a big mess. Both side rotate more freely than my other 250. What can I do to stop this?
How old is this unit? Perhaps the O-Rings need to be swapped out? If they've lost their "spring" they might not be forming a tight connection any more. Hopefully they'll sell you some replacement O-rings to try? Worth a shot since it should cost pennies to replace.

OP
OP
jschultzbass

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, duh. That doesn't answer his question though. He's asking why the cages are rotating on their own and what can be done about this problem.

How old is this unit? Perhaps the O-Rings need to be swapped out? If they've lost their "spring" they might not be forming a tight connection any more. Hopefully they'll sell you some replacement O-rings to try? Worth a shot since it should cost pennies to replace.
I ordered a replacement cage from Coralvue and I'll see if this helps. The company itself hasn't been much help and the cage wasn't too expensive so we'll see how it goes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back