Can I run a Maxspect Gyre 4K with only one propeller?

Tobias9413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just received my new Maxspect gyre 4K I won recently (Shoutout BRS!)

I have a reefer 300 tank which is about 3 ft long. I put in the gyre near the top of the left glass panel and this thing is powerful! Running it at 10% constant moves all my corals on the right side of the tank too much. Fish don’t seem to like the super high flow either.

Can I remove the propeller of one of the sides of the gyre and just put the empty outer plastic to protect the propeller and fish? Would this cause any issues later on with maybe balance or anything? First time with a gyre and I’m very excited. Thanks!

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can run it with one blade. Before you do, try running in alternating mode. 10% + and -, Ramp up/down 6 sec, duration 4sec. Play with the ramp time, make it longer and it will have a pause between "bursts"
I run two on my 40 breeder (3ft), they are way too much for this, but I plan on upgrading in 16 months. I figure why buy twice. Hopefully they last a few years.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem guards may help restrict the flow a bit. Have you tried moving the gyre around? I just ask because I have a reefer 300 and run two mp40s, two mp10s, and two Nero 5s. I'm bare bottom tho and mostly sticks but I do have a large acanthophylia and a fox coral that do well and fish don't seem to mind at all. Rock work can have a lot to do with flow also

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back