Gyre 350's Questions

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Today I have two XF220 and two XF250's but they are old at this point so I am looking into the XF350's for my new tank build. Many reviews of this product point two specific issues that I am concerned about and wonder if they have been improved upon in the last year or so before I purchase.

1) Magnets not strong enough -- There seems to be alot of horror stories at 1/2" thickness that the magnet cannot hold onto the pump if it ramps up to high speeds. My tank would be 3/4" so this is a major concern; are these using two magnets or one? Will this hold at up to 90% on a 3/4" tank thickness?

2) Controller issues -- It appears there was a string of controllers were the second pump dies; was the root cause of this resolved? Is there a way to tell if I purchased a faulty model that should be returned before use?

Thank you!

Fish E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Today I have two XF220 and two XF250's but they are old at this point so I am looking into the XF350's for my new tank build. Many reviews of this product point two specific issues that I am concerned about and wonder if they have been improved upon in the last year or so before I purchase.

1) Magnets not strong enough -- There seems to be alot of horror stories at 1/2" thickness that the magnet cannot hold onto the pump if it ramps up to high speeds. My tank would be 3/4" so this is a major concern; are these using two magnets or one? Will this hold at up to 90% on a 3/4" tank thickness?

2) Controller issues -- It appears there was a string of controllers were the second pump dies; was the root cause of this resolved? Is there a way to tell if I purchased a faulty model that should be returned before use?

Thank you!

I don't own but have considered these as well. One option could be purchase the pumps only without the controllers and buy a Hydros WaveEngine. Looks like you are buying four pumps which I believe would require two controllers. The cost of the two controllers is about the same as the cost of a WaveEngine.

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello,

Thank you!
Bought some 350s like 2 weeks ago id have to measure my glass I think I'm 3/4s though and literall can't move them right now lol they have this sticky side on one side and is very hard fro me to even yank them off maybe when the stickiness runs out I'd have problems but right now its very hard for me to move them just to adjust lol

JReef85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thank you!
I have 2 XF250s as well and I recently broke the white part that is connected to the magnet. I saw the same reviews you spoke of and decided to just order all new parts for them from Coralvue. Its like they are brand new and I don't have to worry about the magnet or controller.

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a bunch about this and decided to go with replacement parts for my xf250. Its definitely much cheaper to just replace my bushings and rotors then buying new :+1: Thanks everyone for their comments.

2AReefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump to this thread...I have 3/4” glass and am looking into the xf350s as well to run on the wave engine. Anyone else have experience with these on 3/4” thick glass? Looking to get as much input as possible on this.... that is the only thing that is holding me back from buying.

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3/4" Acrylic and as "That Guy" said about there is a stickiness on the dry side magnets and you can't hardly adjust them after they are on. Maxspect states that the 350's will work on 3/4" only in the horizonal position. I can run mine @ 100% with no issues. I did not try to run them vertically.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back