Gyre / ice cap issue

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the 150. About a month ago I noticed it wasn't working. You could see the blade spin for a fraction of a second and stop then about 5 seconds later it would repeat. The ice cap module had the green light on solid and a slow flashing red light. I took it apart and cleaned it and it started working. I was gone two days for Christmas and got home and noticed my sand covered with algae! The gyre had stopped working again with the same symptoms. I knew it was clean and could see nothing had gotten in and jammed it. I took it apart and put it back together without cleaning it and it started working again. I'm wondering if it's actually the ice cap that's causing the issue. This weekend I was going to put the original controller back on it and see if that fixes the issue.

Anyone else seen this type of issue?

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After discussing with a local reef club guy I realized this may have started after I programmed alternating pulses. I set it up to run in pulse mode for 30 min then normal flow for 30 and so on during the day. I've gone back to standard flow all day and just alternating the intensity throughout the day. We'll see if the issue happens again.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back