Gyre problems, multiple gyre's

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience with the Gyre. I have 2 x xf150, 1 x xf130 and one xf250. First, one of the Maxspect xf150: I purchased this when it first came out and the unit has had the wires split at the motor housing and I dare not use it anymore. Given that I bought this when it first came out, I expect the manufacturer to say the warranty has expired, even though it is a know problem. The second xf150 that I purchased, about 6 months ago, had a have a malfunctioning controller replaced after 3 months. Now I have to replace the rotor bushings every 3 months because they wear out so fast.

The xf130 that I have will not run in pulse mode, but will run in all other modes, so the controller is not working properly. I gave up trying to fix it and don't expect anyone to help.

The xf 250 is about 4 months old and the ceramic shaft broke off within the motor housing so it will not function properly. I am currently running one side, of the two, due to the damaged shaft.

I am extremelely disappointed in the gyres and personaly feel that the quality control and durability significantly lacks. I bought 4 different units and each of them has had significant problems that should not occur with any significance. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and see no where that I can get appropriate recourse. I have wasted hundreds of dollars on Maxpect Gyres and will not recommend them to any one who asks.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy of mine had a problem with the wire and they sent him a new motor the next week. I am not sure but I think it's worth calling them and asking. On your second point I just got a 3k from coralvue and it seems to already have problems, with the noise and rattling when starting up. So I feel your pain.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the mp60 for 4 months no issue. Only thing was reeflink wasn't taking to one mp60. Emailed them they responded in a day. Gave me instructions and video how to update softwAre. It's fixed. I know they are almost double the gyro. But no a technology moron like myself. Who can barely change a light bulb they are worth it

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru ecotech, wav, and gyres before I went and settled on the silent, (actually silent, not marketing " silent") TUNZE stream pumps are solid ND last for ever, best customer service, although I should give ecotech proper customer service props too.

My opinion tunze are a staple and are often over looked with the "latest and greatest"

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru ecotech, wav, and gyres before I went and settled on the silent, (actually silent, not marketing " silent") TUNZE stream pumps are solid ND last for ever, best customer service, although I should give ecotech proper customer service props too.

My opinion tunze are a staple and are often over looked with the "latest and greatest"

Tunze are great. But not really suited for wave makers ?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience with the Gyre. I have 2 x xf150, 1 x xf130 and one xf250. First, one of the Maxspect xf150: I purchased this when it first came out and the unit has had the wires split at the motor housing and I dare not use it anymore. Given that I bought this when it first came out, I expect the manufacturer to say the warranty has expired, even though it is a know problem. The second xf150 that I purchased, about 6 months ago, had a have a malfunctioning controller replaced after 3 months. Now I have to replace the rotor bushings every 3 months because they wear out so fast.

The xf130 that I have will not run in pulse mode, but will run in all other modes, so the controller is not working properly. I gave up trying to fix it and don't expect anyone to help.

The xf 250 is about 4 months old and the ceramic shaft broke off within the motor housing so it will not function properly. I am currently running one side, of the two, due to the damaged shaft.

I am extremelely disappointed in the gyres and personaly feel that the quality control and durability significantly lacks. I bought 4 different units and each of them has had significant problems that should not occur with any significance. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and see no where that I can get appropriate recourse. I have wasted hundreds of dollars on Maxpect Gyres and will not recommend them to any one who asks.
Whaaat? You bought 4? I gave up on this crap after 2 and went back to my MP10s. "Fool me once..."

tygger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a U.S. customer service number? Looks like the power supply on my 2 month old xf23o just stopped working. :(

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze are great. But not really suited for wave makers ?

I use mine for wavemaking. I can get an almost two inch wave with a single 6055 in a 90 gallon. I have them programmed through the apex to alternate and run at different strengths throughout the day. I also switched the housings to the wide flow 6095 housings and get a much more diffused flow.

Clownfish!22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my control panel malfunctioned so that it only works on the setting I had been using orignally, no warrenty for that, next ne pump itself is way to complex and nothing stays together or comes aoart like your usual pumps, not worth it at all.

Clownfish!22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine for wavemaking. I can get an almost two inch wave with a single 6055 in a 90 gallon. I have them programmed through the apex to alternate and run at different strengths throughout the day. I also switched the housings to the wide flow 6095 housings and get a much more diffused flow.
its going to malfunction, watch out!

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, they are rock solid. I’m pretty sure Tunze invented the wave maker, it was a large box with a pump in it. They’ve since ditched the box and the controller makes the wave without the need for the box.

I’ve never actually had a Tunze pump die on me. I think the longest I’ve owned one was five or six years. I typically clean them once a year and they run like tanks.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear about problems with these pumps from time to time but it hasn't been my experience. I have 3 of the 250s, 4 of the 280s and a couple of the 150s in a box. The only problem I have had was when the first came out the controler for the 150s stopped working and then a few days later started working on its own again. I have had zero problems with the xf series. One thing I do that might help some other folks it to use a little bit of pure silicone lub on all of the parts when I first get the units and when cleaning them. Makes everything come apart and go back together very easily.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two icecap3k gyres and no issues other then having to update the controller due to screen reading backwards. Update fixed it. One has been running about 18 months. Other is just in use but going strong. Very little whine from them.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two icecap3k gyres and no issues other then having to update the controller due to screen reading backwards. Update fixed it. One has been running about 18 months. Other is just in use but going strong. Very little whine from them.

I use an Icecap 3k as well. The display is upside down but not all the time:confused:

Does the update fix that? Not really an issue. Just kinda bugs me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back