Gyre pumps (which brand should I get?)

Roshisatoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefing community!

I’m looking to getting supplemental flow in my reefer 170 (45gal). I already have two mp10s and an mp40 (which I’ll be replacing with the gyre). this system is predominately SPS and the mp40 is just difficult to move flow evenly throughout the scape.

there are now a handful of options when it comes to gyres, and I was curious if anyone that has had first hand experience can weigh in on the pros and cons of each. I would appreciate any advice in comparing the various models (especially if you have used multiple brands):

Red Sea reef wave
Max spect gyre
Max spect JUMP
Ice cap gyre

I do want to mention I value ease of maintenance first and then reliability (close second)

Which gyre can y’all recommend?

Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Red Sea. You probably only need a single ReefWave25. I have a pair of ReefWave45s and there are too many pros to list, ie: ease of maintenance, superior design, reliability, controllability, etc.

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good experience with Maxspect 250's, and recently upgraded to a 330 and 350. Much performance about the same, but much quieter and easier to maintain. I also used an Icecap 2k on a smaller tank and liked that as well.
Don't know about the Jump or Red Sea, but they're probably good too. My best advice is to look for any of those pumps used and go for the best value

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also in the fence if i am going to stay with Maxpect Gyre or give Red Sea a try.

To be honest i have been very happy with the XF-250 for several years. One thing that i like is that you can use 1 Controller for both pumps. What i don't like is the dissemble process for cleaning as the clips break easy and i clean them monthly.

@reefteaser as you have both XF-250 and XF-330 do you have 2 separate Controllers for them or do you have them in a Controller (APEX or Hydros)?
Also, how is the dissemble on the XF-330 / 350? Is it the same as the XF-250?.

@blaxsun can the Red Sea Wave be controlled with only one Controller or have to be separate or how you have them connected? I also have red that the application is not good, please advise.

Thanks to both for your feedback as that will help me out make a decision.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't comment on the others, but I own a maxspect xf-250 for a couple years now. Still very quiet, still pushes a ton of water, and for me very simple to pull apart and clean.

I do not run it on it's own controller, I have the apex module to control it.

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great deal from a LFS on a used 330 and 350 in great shape. I replaced my 250's and recently sold them. I been using a Hydros Wave Engine since it came out for these and two Varios 4's, also a great product. One power supply for all, and programming Hydros is easier than the native controllers.
I got good at breaking down and reassembly of the 250's, but when I tried the new one's I found them MUCH easier, less parts, and color coded left and right. Removing the motor block doors on the 250's wasn't easy, and I broke a spindle twice doing it. The 300 series come out easy. The 250's were quiet enough, but the new one are silent.
I needed help from Coralvue to get replacement bushings, as their website listings are not quite right. They acknowledged this and seemed to appreciate my feedback. I've received very good support from them in the past also.
The Icecap 2k worked great, but although it uses the Hydros platform to control, it does not have all the capabilities and programming options as the Maxspect.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an xf350 or 380 (the large one) for a few years now. Never cleaned it. It works fine and moves a lot of water and is quiet. I hate the static flow, even in reverse. I would never have one of these over Tunze or even a MP for my acropora tank. In this tank with the Gyre, my A. Carduus (dragons) would lean with the flow. I have to turn it down most of the way and put some 6155 Tunze on there. My gyre is also not great for my colonies - most people don't ever get colonies so this is not horrible, but the water seems to go right around them and not wash out in the inside. The debris also settles more with the static flow.

I expected this Gyre to fail a short death and make a lot of noise since many complain about this, but it has been reliable and I have never had to clean it.

OP
OP
R

Roshisatoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before switching pumps you may want to try the wideflow adapter for the mp10s and mp40s. I was in the same boat as you but the wideflow adapter has solved my spread of flow problem.
I had no idea that existed! I will def look into that adapter because I love the MPs

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Icecap Gyres 2-2k and 2-4k and 2 controllers. While I love the concept of a gyre, I have hated the Icecaps since day 1. Due to a real lack of info. from manufacturer, it took about 10 hours for the initial set-up. I found the interface to be confusing, non-intuitive, and lame. The controllers suck and dont stay connected to wifi. This means you have to re-log in if you want to make a quick adjustment or stop for feeding. Coral vue has been no assistance in helping. There are videos, but it has been a nightmare to find exact info. on these when I need it without spending 2 hours online. I am going to transition over to the Jebao SCP line.
Cheers! Mark
-

smariner007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Red Sea's, I have 3 of them and love them, the interface is intuitive as well and easy to link all 3 together. I have mine set on Random and they are amazing!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Icecap Gyres 2-2k and 2-4k and 2 controllers. While I love the concept of a gyre, I have hated the Icecaps since day 1. Due to a real lack of info. from manufacturer, it took about 10 hours for the initial set-up. I found the interface to be confusing, non-intuitive, and lame. The controllers suck and dont stay connected to wifi. This means you have to re-log in if you want to make a quick adjustment or stop for feeding. Coral vue has been no assistance in helping. There are videos, but it has been a nightmare to find exact info. on these when I need it without spending 2 hours online. I am going to transition over to the Jebao SCP line.
Cheers! Mark
-
Couldn't agree more... I have the 2k and 4k... I spend .ore time trying to get them the way I want then enjoying them. They still don't work the way I want...

Simmo56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a new maxspect xf350 in place a week ago to replace a Jump 4k whi h just wasn't strong enough and the controller doesn't work properly. A scan of Google has revealed lots of issues with the series 3 controller. It's a pity because before the Jump 4k I ran an xf150 for 4 years without a single issue

Back