Help with a circulation pump decision for 1" acrylic

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyones thoughts on using a pair of maxspect gyre XF280 vs a pair of mp60 as far as pumps that work on 1" acrylic are concerned? Brs currently has a sale on the maxspect gyres which made me consider them.

A few details I've summed up if they help:
Mp60 pros:
-Considered a tried and true product for me and many others (previously used the older non qd 60s)
-Battery Back up compatible (ecotech/coralbox?/diy)*
-Easy cleaning
-No cables in the tank
-Great customer service (when I've needed them in my history of owning ecotech gear)
*Already have newer ecotech back up batteries I can re-allocate which may offset some overall cost
-Mobius might be good someday

Cons:
-Price for 2 is 1400 (792 dollar difference for 2 which could upgrade a rd3 to an abyzz or buy other gear)
-Likely noisier than the gyre (even the mp40qds have some noise so the qd60s will too since my older mp60s had noise)
-In comparison to the gyre it will be much more narrow and limited range of flow without additional supplementation
-Cannot mount very high (based on older mp60s and current mp40s) without sucking in a ton of air

Maxpect Gyre XF280 pros:
-Widest flow out of all pumps and powerheads (that I know of) and may not require additional supplementation
-Can be mounted vertical or horizontal and apparently very high up towards the surface of the water making it a bit less obtrusive than other powerheads (bar the cableless vortechs)
-Price for 2 (only 1 controller needed) 608 which is significantly less expensive than 2 qd60 ($792 is not insignificant!)
-Battery back up compatible (Icecap v2?*, Coralbox v2, DIY?)
-Exceeds the thickness maximum of 1" (1.25" max for mounting)

Cons:
-Not snail/random critter proof based on research (seems easily broken by snails and what not which hasn't been an issue with any vortech pump in my experience)
-Doesn't look anywhere near as easy to clean and seems like it will fail easier if neglected (I've gone extended periods without cleaning some of my older vortechs)
-No personal experience with their customer service/longevity (my oldest vortech is an 8 year old mp60 thats still in service)
-*Ice cap battery seems discontinued? leaving only DIY or Coralbox/DIY options available for battery back up since I don't know if the ecotech battery is compatible
-Cables in the tank + needing to make additional cutouts in the top bracing for the cables to go through the top of the acrylic (Tank will not/cannot be rimless)

TLDR ver: hobby is expensive, save 792 dollars and buy the gyres or stick with the mp60s?

M

Max_nano

View Badges
I have a icecap 2k gyre and 2 Nero 5 pumps. I really appreciate the rolling flow/wave that a gyre near the top of the tank creates. I can’t really say which will be better for you, but I can address some of your con items for the gyre.

Cleaning isn’t so bad on the icecap gyres, I’m not sure what max spect is like but would imagine it’s similar? I remove the covers and then the propellor from each side. I put the spare set of propellers back on, and the guard if it didn’t need to be cleaned. The biggest benefit comes from just cleaning the gunk out where the prop connects to the pump drive.

You mentioned snails getting in? I can hear my neros stop when a snail goes in and they just restart and it’s resolved. I haven’t had any snails work their way into the gyre in the 6 months I’ve had it, and I have small ceriths and baby trochus snails.

Have you considered 2 gyres and a MP60? You could have the gyres vertical sending flow around a the sides and the mp60 in the center pulsing and just keeping the water moving down the center of your tank? I’m not sure what your dims are though so hard to help in that regard

OP
OP
C_AWOL

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did ultimately decide on sticking with just the mp60s in the end since I missed the brs sale :oops:. Post sale prices weren't low enough to justify going with something I'm not familiar with despite it still being overall cheaper.

Didn't realize that I left out the dimensions but the tank is going to be 96"x36"x30" if this might help others in the future who are building something similar.

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up using. I am looking at a 1 inch thick acrylic tank and can't find any successful data on magnetic strength holding at that thickness for any of the mentioned power heads. They all seem to be rated for 3/4 inch or less other than the expensive MP60

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back