OP
OP
I

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looking good my man!!! Love all the fish! I wish I had sand in my 170. I love the sand look but I hate having it blow all over from all my flow.
I went for a slightly heavier grain because of that issue in the past, and that's also a big part of why I have the MP40s towards the top of the tank. My wife and I designed the aquascape with the intention of having torches/gonis/etc. lower in the tank with less flow, and we'll be putting a bunch of acros up top in the crosscurrent (and somewhat shielded from the torches by the flat bases).

OP
OP
I

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Update 1-24-24
Tank has continued to chug along. No more random coral deaths, and everything's continued to color up and look better. We're putting a hiatus on adding any more coral to the tank for the next 3-ish months, though, just to be safe.

PXL_20240123_212049781.jpg

Food and feeding
Costco was doing a sale on an upright garage freezer last month, so we picked one up. As a compromise with my wife to avoid frozen food proliferating throughout our fridge, I took two drawers in said freezer, and stocked up on frozen food. After asking around, I ended up doing a bulk order from Brine Shrimp Direct given their pretty solid pricing: 77 flat packs (mix of mysis, spirulina mysis/brine, krill, ay caribe, and arctic copepods), 1.2 and 2.4 mm pellets, flake food, and the omnivore gel diet.

For a data point for those wondering how much others feed their tanks: I've been feeding a total of ~15 cubes of food per day, split among three feedings, with one feeding enriched with five drops of Garlic Power and three or four drops of Selcon. I'll also feed a pinch of flake and pellet during the day, since I'm going to be buying an Avast Plank from @srt4eric soon and am trying to get them used to pellet/flake food for automated feedings to replace one frozen feeding). I'll also give them a sheet of nori every couple days. Given how fat some of my fish are I'm guessing this is leaning towards the heavier side of feeding, but they seem to all be doing well. The coral also gets 40 mL/day of Red Sea AB+ .

Video of feeding time:

PXL_20240118_164803809.TS.mp4

drive.google.com
drive.google.com

Nutrient management
I'm pretty sure adding the bella goby to the tank caused a nutrient spike due to a combination of a prior lack of thorough sand sifting and lots of food on the sand bed. Phosphates got pretty high (0.57 at one point, and 50 ppm nitrate), so I spent the better part of a week slowly dosing lanthanum chloride to bring it down, and continued dosing ~25 mL of homemade NoPox* daily. Phosphates are now around 0.20 and dropping slowly.

I also got a great deal from a friend up here so I swapped out my previous IceCap K2-200 skimmer for a brand new Reef Octopus Regal INT200 protein skimmer. Love it so far: quiet, will be easier to clean, and has a float switch to avoid overflow. I'll be hooking up a recirculating CO2 scrubber at some point to help raise pH, too.

PXL_20240124_213208806.jpg

Next steps
Continuing my theme of 'trying to automate as much as possible', my next projects are going to be:
  • Setting up an automatic dry food feeder to replace one feeding per day, and to be able to leave the tank completely alone for several days in emergency situations
  • Setting up two dosing pumps: one four-head doser for Red Sea ABCD dosing, and another two- or three-head doser to automate NoPox dosing and AB+ dosing.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice setup! I'm looking at getting a 200 peninsula ext setup and was wondering how you feel about your setup so far. Are you happy with the tank? How is the stand as far as sturdiness? Is it pretty solid?

OP
OP
I

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice setup! I'm looking at getting a 200 peninsula ext setup and was wondering how you feel about your setup so far. Are you happy with the tank? How is the stand as far as sturdiness? Is it pretty solid?
Very happy so far and, if we didn't have a 150 lb clumsy dog my wife worried about running into the tank, I would've much preferred to go for the peninsula.

APS stand is sturdy and solid. I've strongly considered purchasing one, in spite of the price, for the little 14g IM Nuvo tank I have in the garage as a QT system. Only complaint about the stand is that they don't give measurements for how far away the posts should be spaced during construction, so it's a little trial-and-error.

I love the tank itself. Construction seems solid, I love the dimensions; my only complaint is that it can be a little low for viewing when right next to the tank. Considering it's the living room centerpiece and we mainly view it from the couch, though, that's acceptable. Modifying the lid has also been a bit of a challenge, since I can't find information on the framing they use on the lid (and IM support wasn't super helpful on this).

I think they're more than worth it, particularly for the money. I'd lean away from their sump, though, given its expense and that I feel companies like Synergy Reef give you a lot more bang for your buck.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the response! They currently have a great sale going on! The price for a complete system is unbeatable! I have to do some measuring when I get home. The regular system can definitely fit in my space but really looking at the peninsula!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it man!
I have the IM 200p for a while now supper slow build.
Was empty in my house for 8 months while I focus on the other tank.

Any I agree with the he say about the IM sump. It’s nice and all looks great but for the peninsula tank it’s odd. They should have gone with a “racetrack” style sump like RS does. had there 650P the aps stand is some much better easy to build to.

Only gripe is no where attach plumbing to the stand. But they do make cam lock that you can attached to wood. I feel a side of those should’ve been included with the system. But they’re only 20 bucks.

I went with the sump as a package deal as well. If I had not, I would’ve gone with the 60 breeder.

Anyway do it!!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 1-24-24
Tank has continued to chug along. No more random coral deaths, and everything's continued to color up and look better. We're putting a hiatus on adding any more coral to the tank for the next 3-ish months, though, just to be safe.

PXL_20240123_212049781.jpg

Food and feeding
Costco was doing a sale on an upright garage freezer last month, so we picked one up. As a compromise with my wife to avoid frozen food proliferating throughout our fridge, I took two drawers in said freezer, and stocked up on frozen food. After asking around, I ended up doing a bulk order from Brine Shrimp Direct given their pretty solid pricing: 77 flat packs (mix of mysis, spirulina mysis/brine, krill, ay caribe, and arctic copepods), 1.2 and 2.4 mm pellets, flake food, and the omnivore gel diet.

For a data point for those wondering how much others feed their tanks: I've been feeding a total of ~15 cubes of food per day, split among three feedings, with one feeding enriched with five drops of Garlic Power and three or four drops of Selcon. I'll also feed a pinch of flake and pellet during the day, since I'm going to be buying an Avast Plank from @srt4eric soon and am trying to get them used to pellet/flake food for automated feedings to replace one frozen feeding). I'll also give them a sheet of nori every couple days. Given how fat some of my fish are I'm guessing this is leaning towards the heavier side of feeding, but they seem to all be doing well. The coral also gets 40 mL/day of Red Sea AB+ .

Video of feeding time:

PXL_20240118_164803809.TS.mp4

drive.google.com
drive.google.com

Nutrient management
I'm pretty sure adding the bella goby to the tank caused a nutrient spike due to a combination of a prior lack of thorough sand sifting and lots of food on the sand bed. Phosphates got pretty high (0.57 at one point, and 50 ppm nitrate), so I spent the better part of a week slowly dosing lanthanum chloride to bring it down, and continued dosing ~25 mL of homemade NoPox* daily. Phosphates are now around 0.20 and dropping slowly.

I also got a great deal from a friend up here so I swapped out my previous IceCap K2-200 skimmer for a brand new Reef Octopus Regal INT200 protein skimmer. Love it so far: quiet, will be easier to clean, and has a float switch to avoid overflow. I'll be hooking up a recirculating CO2 scrubber at some point to help raise pH, too.

PXL_20240124_213208806.jpg

Next steps
Continuing my theme of 'trying to automate as much as possible', my next projects are going to be:
  • Setting up an automatic dry food feeder to replace one feeding per day, and to be able to leave the tank completely alone for several days in emergency situations
  • Setting up two dosing pumps: one four-head doser for Red Sea ABCD dosing, and another two- or three-head doser to automate NoPox dosing and AB+ dosing.
Sounds like you like that RO SKIMMER I have been looking at that one too.
I have an older RO skimmer been a work horse for years so I am a fan of reef octo.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm definitely thinking about it! It's about 800 less without the sump. I have to verify if the tank/stand setup comes with any plumbing. I also would like to know if it comes with a screen top. I may just get the tank/stand and pick up a trigger sump. It seems like they are on sale all the time! Lol.

wrongpolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the ext200 about 3 weeks ago. The complete system does come with a screen top (along with sump/plumbing) I don't believe the tank/stand combo comes with plumbing but I may be mistaken. The RFS50 that comes with it definitely doesn't leave a whole lot of room on each end given they have it smack dab in the middle. It took some outside the box thinking and some 3d printing to get it close to how I wanted it.

OP
OP
I

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm definitely thinking about it! It's about 800 less without the sump. I have to verify if the tank/stand setup comes with any plumbing. I also would like to know if it comes with a screen top. I may just get the tank/stand and pick up a trigger sump. It seems like they are on sale all the time! Lol.
I'd strongly advocate not getting the sump and using the money to purchase your own sump, either through Trigger or Synergy Reef. (Synergy Reef is awesome, I've had nothing but good dealings with them, and they got the sump to me FAST.)

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What don't you like about their sump? They look pretty solid in the pics but I do know that pics don't always show the truth

wrongpolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What don't you like about their sump? They look pretty solid in the pics but I do know that pics don't always show the truth
I agree with IOWL, it's not that the IM sump is bad by any means, but for the money you can get alot more flexibility from the vendors he mentioned (most likely for a few hundred less). Looking back, I probably should have done exactly that. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Do I hate the IM Sump? No, it gets the job done. It just made my life a tad more difficult trying to fit all the ancillary equipment underneath and still have access to everything in the sump.

wrongpolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really digging your screen on the front of your stand. I may have to "borrow" that idea. Great looking build (especially the pipework!!!) I may have to borrow some more ideas too, when I get around to setting up my UV. Keep up the updates, it looks awesome!

OP
OP
I

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree with IOWL, it's not that the IM sump is bad by any means, but for the money you can get alot more flexibility from the vendors he mentioned (most likely for a few hundred less). Looking back, I probably should have done exactly that. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Do I hate the IM Sump? No, it gets the job done. It just made my life a tad more difficult trying to fit all the ancillary equipment underneath and still have access to everything in the sump.
Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

It looked good and I was excited to have it. However, in retrospect, I'm glad IM borked my order* and I explored other sump options. Several things I considered doing - dual return pumps (which I did), and filter rollers (which I did not end up doing) - would have required either modifying the sump or not been possible.

OP
OP
I

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Really digging your screen on the front of your stand. I may have to "borrow" that idea. Great looking build (especially the pipework!!!) I may have to borrow some more ideas too, when I get around to setting up my UV. Keep up the updates, it looks awesome!
Thank you for the compliments, and borrow away! I "borrowed" it from @bayarea_reef 's build, with the caveat that I'm running Reef Tiles for the display (developed by our local club's very own @phatduckk ).

I'll have some updates in the next month or so. Currently planned things are:

1. Adding a 4th G6 XR30 blue and fourth MP40

2. Installing a deluxe Adaptive Reef board + shelf in the stand for better cable management, aesthetics, and having a 'shelf' for the CaRx pump + dosing pump

3. Redoing the controller board on the right hand side for better cable management

4. Making a large purchase of pre-QT'd coral from Kay's Coral Cove, and putting some of my self-QT'd coral, into the tank to start filling it out a bit

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

It looked good and I was excited to have it. However, in retrospect, I'm glad IM borked my order* and I explored other sump options. Several things I considered doing - dual return pumps (which I did), and filter rollers (which I did not end up doing) - would have required either modifying the sump or not been possible.
If you want a roller mat the sump is an issue but if you want 2 returns it is easy. I just drilled an extra hole in the black return area and I have 2 return pumps plumbed. Was not difficult at all.

OP
OP
I

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you want a roller mat the sump is an issue but if you want 2 returns it is easy. I just drilled an extra hole in the black return area and I have 2 return pumps plumbed. Was not difficult at all.
Right; that's why I noted I would have had to modify the sump.

My perspective is that - if I'm going to spend the money buying something new - I'd prefer to not have to modify it right out of the gate.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want a roller mat the sump is an issue but if you want 2 returns it is easy. I just drilled an extra hole in the black return area and I have 2 return pumps plumbed. Was not difficult at all
Hi! I was just watching your video on the I'm 200 setup. Did you use the plumbing that came with the system or did you do your own plumbing?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more question for now!! Lol what height do you keep your sump water level at?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back