Jackson's Old School 200 IM Nuvo Ext

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things were going too smooth! Needed some drama this month and boy I got some! I discovered that I had white bugs on many acros. They're not apparent like red bugs. Easy to miss. They're more active in the dark, and if you see them in the daylight they're easily mistaken for detritus or some other particulate. If you have pale tenuis through your reef when everything else is colored up, that's a surefire sign. I've become aware that most hobbyists, even seasoned SPS keepers are oblivious to white bugs. A dip in bayer (slightly milky) for 15 mins seems to kill them. But that won't work on an infested tank.

So I did 2 doses of Sentinel. I dosed 3 chews which is 69mg of Milbemycin and 1.38G of Luefenuron. Worked great on the bugs. No signs of them. Saw increased polyp extension after treatments. Unfortunately that wasn't it. I started to get dinos forming on the rocks and even on some of the SPS (strings with bubbles) after second dose. I saw a small decline in color and polyp extension. Even my fish were acting differently hiding and being weary. I decided to put a 40w UV on the tank instead of watching this crap take over the tank. Worked like a charm. Dinos were gone in a couple of days and everything looking great. SPS growth began to take off! I had to increased 2 part 25ml daily over the passed week. Water clarity from the UV was a nice bonus.

That brings me to this morning. I walked down to the tank early in the morning to do some testing and feeding. I noticed my alk dropped again which was a sign of more growth! Everything was looking great. As I was packing up my alk kid I began hearing a crackle noise coming from under the stand. I checked but didn't see anything wrong. I kept hearing it and it was getting louder. Then I began hearing cracking noises. I thought it could have been the stand, didn't see anything wrong with the tank...... Then I saw the leaks and fractures. The Innovative Marine NUVO RFS 50 sump was coming apart. Not what I wanted to see.

I drained the sump, detached the plumbing, and hooked up controllers to run in the display. I grabbed a 75g from petco in the time being to run as a sump. Luckily everything looked ok. I increased surface agitation and added an airstoine in display while there was no sump running. Got everything running stable in the 75g for now.

Now to see if Innovative Marine will stand by their 4 month old sump.... I hope they do. I really like their tank...
This is what separates the seasoned pros from the average reefer. Ability, composure, and knowledge to roll with the waves. Mitigating disaster with quick concise responses. Well done sir!!
As far as the bugs... this was a in display treatment? Please elaborate on preparation, procedure, and ramifications of treatment, along with reading material(if possible).. please and thank you!

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what separates the seasoned pros from the average reefer. Ability, composure, and knowledge to roll with the waves. Mitigating disaster with quick concise responses. Well done sir!!
As far as the bugs... this was a in display treatment? Please elaborate on preparation, procedure, and ramifications of treatment, along with reading material(if possible).. please and thank you!

Thanks for making me seem more calm and composed than I was. There was some panic initially lol and some emergency phone calls/texts @delv2323 :D

So this was an in tank treatment. 3 large dog sentinel chews, pulverized to a powder, and shaken into a container then poured in. 24 hrs later I did a 25% WC and ran some carbon + mechanical filter pads. Did that twice, then the Dinos popped up. Were the Dinos because of a disturbance in biome from meds or from a reduction in organics from the water changes? I couldn't tell you. I'm leaning towards the biome being altered because the nutrients didn't drop much, and for very long before I bumped them back up where I prefer (.15. po4 and 12-15ppm no3). I don't have literature for this med, it was recommended from Adam at Battle corals and some others on an older reef central thread. It worked on the bugs though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not good. First I have heard of a sump issue.
How high is the sumps water level? It looks like 9".

I think about 9" is where I was running. Not much water pressure on it. I dunno man. This thing looks like it was kicked a bunch of times. The seams were popping and cracking fast!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think about 9" is where I was running. Not much water pressure on it. I dunno man. This thing looks like it was kicked a bunch of times. The seams were popping and cracking fast!
Ouch. I have the 170 and really prefer an 80g no baffle sump.
Hope I dont need it though.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative Marine is shipping a new sump to me. Very happy that they stand by their product because I really like their tanks. They said that their sumps are very sensitive to solvents and even fumes which could be the reason. Besides cleaning my glass with alcohol once in a while, nothing else stands out in my mind. Water cleanings from now on I guess

I had a new toy delivered a day before the sump gave out on me. Decided to get it running on the temporary sump since it’s easy to remove and swap etc. To continue on with the old school trend, with a newer twist on running it, I decided on an avast marine mutiny ozone reactor. I did pull the UV off of the system. It’s just too big and cumbersome to keep plumbed in.

Just a few coral pics for those who like to scroll lol

IMG_5535.jpeg IMG_5522.jpeg IMG_5521.jpeg IMG_5520.jpeg IMG_5517.jpeg IMG_5660.jpeg IMG_5658.jpeg

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Innovative Marine is shipping a new sump to me. Very happy that they stand by their product because I really like their tanks. They said that their sumps are very sensitive to solvents and even fumes which could be the reason. Besides cleaning my glass with alcohol once in a while, nothing else stands out in my mind. Water cleanings from now on I guess

I had a new toy delivered a day before the sump gave out on me. Decided to get it running on the temporary sump since it’s easy to remove and swap etc. To continue on with the old school trend, with a newer twist on running it, I decided on an avast marine mutiny ozone reactor. I did pull the UV off of the system. It’s just too big and cumbersome to keep plumbed in.

Just a few coral pics for those who like to scroll lol

IMG_5535.jpeg IMG_5522.jpeg IMG_5521.jpeg IMG_5520.jpeg IMG_5517.jpeg
Not sure why they say the sump is sensitive to solvent since its welded together with solvent.
Solvent fumes well, lol.
Anyway glad they are sending you a new one.
I have the Mutiny reactor also for my 170. They are nice units. I did replace the noodles with hdpe k3 bio media. They are cheap and when they get dirty I can take them out and add new while cleaning the others.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Not sure why they say the sump is sensitive to solvent since its welded together with solvent.
Solvent fumes well, lol.
Anyway glad they are sending you a new one.
I have the Mutiny reactor also for my 170. They are nice units. I did replace the noodles with hdpe k3 bio media. They are cheap and when they get dirty I can take them out and add new while cleaning the others.

Thanks I’ll look into that media

Month 4 in the books!

IMG_5565.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back