Gyre Vs. Regular Flow Pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter surlytx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

surlytx

Reefing Smarter, Not Harder (For Retirement)
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
137
Reaction score
158
Location
Benbrook
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide how to do flow on my IM 40 AIO. The display area of the tank is approximately 24" x 16" x 19".

Is there any advantage of gyre pumps over a regular flow pump?
 
With the gyres you usually get a wider flow, and you can place one on top and it almost creates a circular flow around the tank from top to bottom. I think they also produce stronger water movement compared to regular flow pumps. I think for that size tank you could get away with using one gyre vs if you went with regular flow pumps, you would probably need two to create a certain water flow.
 
Upvote 0
Keep in mind the flow requirement will change as the display matures. A gyre in a new or minimal scape will be great but as the corals grow and mature a gyre will no longer be enough.
 
Upvote 0
I have the same tank (bit older maybe). I started with a small gyre in it and then got a heck of a deal on a Nero5. While the gyre did the job, it was kind of large and clunky in there. I prefer the size of the Nero and the fact that it is App controlled so it is also less clunky with the wiring situation.

I also put RFG nozzles on both my return hoses. If it wasn't for all of the SPS in there I'd consider the Nero as largely unnecessary, considering I seem to have a pretty good size return pump in it.
 
Upvote 0
I already have the RFG nozzles and like them very much. I'm trying to get my plan for flow finalized. I still have a new months to decide. Maybe by them the Nero pumps will be back in stock.
 
Upvote 0
I have 2 FX350 Gyre and an MP40 running at low speeds in my 90. Yes, they are overkill. I like the gyre type pumps for overall flow with long periods in one direction before reversing for another long period. I like the conventional pump for pulses to simulate waves.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new