Gyre XF230 problem

Corndiggly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone might be able to offer some suggestions on how to fix one of my Gyre pumps.
I did a thorough clean of all components and reassembled but when I turned it back on one of the pumps would switch to “off” on the controller after a few seconds.

I cleaned the cages, rotors and magnet mounts by soaking in citric acid for a few hours and scrubbing with a toothbrush to get all the coraline cleaned off.
I didn’t soak the magnet blocks (took them out of the rubber boots) or the motor body as I wanted to avoid acid eating through glues etc and getting to the internals, I just used a bit of elbow grease (scourer and dull razor blade) to clean these.

I have tried the following;
  • Changing the bearings
  • Changing the cages and rotors
  • Checking A and B direction for both
  • Taking the impellor out to see if motor body is swollen or dirty
  • Swapped the plugs on the driver from A to B
  • Updated the firmware
  • Contacted the distributor (offered me a replacement motor for a reasonable price but still $150 I don’t really want to spend if I don’t have to)

The impellor spins freely by handwith a little bit of resistance but nothing crazy.
Also the weird thing is when it is plugged in it kind of stutters every few seconds like it wants to spin but can’t quite.

Is there anything else I can try or should I bite the bullet and buy the replacement? I've had it for 16 months so warranty is out of the question unfortunately.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried it without the cages installed to see if they are somehow impeding movement?

OP
OP
Corndiggly

Corndiggly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried it without the cages installed to see if they are somehow impeding movement?
Yeah I tried without the cages that’s how I noticed the stuttering.
I’ll try to post a video to show what I mean.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my xf250 I had inserted one of those plug things that go in before the impellors the wrong way. Are those inserted correctly?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have more than one gyre, try plugging it into a different power adapter and/or controller to see if the problem persists.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back