Gyres, forward and reverse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
B

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This screenshot shows how I set up the stream pumps.
upload_2018-1-11_18-0-6.png

The Gyre speeds are assigned to stream group 1 while the directions are assigned to stream group 2.

Gyre speeds in group 1 are permanent mode, 10s sinus waves since I want the Gyres to both ramp up/down together but in opposite directions.

Gyre directions in group 2 are permanent opposite mode, 20s right angle waves since I want the directions to always be opposite.

Why 10s speed and 20s direction? I found that if the direction time is 2X the speed time, the speed and direction change is synchronized and the direction change occurs only when the Gyres are at zero speed or Maximum. To sync direction at zero speed, you also need to hit the "save changes" button at the top when the Gyres are ramping down and near zero speed. If ramping up and near max, the direction change syncs at max speed (can't be good for the Gyres).

I hope it all makes sense!

OP
OP
B

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all seems to be working fine. I'm just playing with the various settings and then observing flow.

I was so worried about having the Gyres change direction at full speed. Turns out the IceCap engineers thought this through. Even at top speed, when changing direction, the Gyres come to a soft stop before the change in direction occurs. Very nice!

Once I settle on settings, I"ll post right here.

I look forward to what others come up with regarding setting for their GHL controlled Gyres.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back