H Magnifica

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day reefers.

I'm looking at getting a H Magnifica for my tank. It is a standard 120G 4'x2'x2'. My current build thread is here:https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/shauns-120g-build.626401/#post-6806117 which will detail stuff about my tank. I have been looking at this for a while - and then lo and behold visiting the LFS there is a H Magnifica sitting there looking at me, perfect size at about 6".

Basic parameters are good, 0 Ammonia / Nitrate, Calc 420, Alk 8.4, Temp 78F. My phos is 0.30 and Nitrate is 15-20 . Tank has been setup now for about 9 months and parameters are stable. Within the tank I will look to build a separate 'pedestal' to raise the H Mag up to about 12" from the surface on the right side of the tank and keep it away from corals.

My current stocking list is:
2x ocellaris
2x damsel
2x cardinal
2x anthias
1x YWG
1x diamond goby
1x yellow tang
1x blue tang
1x fire fish

Couple of questions:

1) Is the nitrate too high at 20??
2) What risk is there to healthy fish?
3) what is the risk of quarantine vs putting direct into display? (i.e. will it potentially hold nasty stuff within the water of the anemone)
4) I understand that many H Mag need Cipro treatment - is it too much risk to buy without Cipro to hand and then order the Cipro if required?
5) what would be a normal growth rate - I'd only be keeping the tank for a maximum of another 2 years (I know that I will relocate with work).

As always - thanks in advance.

Shaun

OP
OP
S

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a photo of the actual Nem,

And Full tank shot. My plan would be to rearrange the rock work on the right, moving it about 4-6 inches further right, removing coral and rebuilding a ‘pedestal’ to hopefully provide the nem with a ‘happy place’ that meet flow and lighting away from my coral. Would also make it such that it cannot touch the side of the tank.

8EB8A8B8-DCFF-4169-8E68-30034C780CEF.jpeg
965EB60A-7513-4013-BEDA-A8AF424098E4.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've done your research. Parameters seem fine.

Regarding growth, if you don't feed it, it won't grow very much unless it gets a lot of indirect feedings from what you feed the tank. However, acclimating mags tend to be smaller than they actually are, meaning once fully acclimated, they may expand quite a bit in side. Look at the size of the foot -- if it seems large in proportion to the oral disc -- it may expand a lot larger than you'd expect.

OP
OP
S

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've done your research. Parameters seem fine.

Regarding growth, if you don't feed it, it won't grow very much unless it gets a lot of indirect feedings from what you feed the tank. However, acclimating mags tend to be smaller than they actually are, meaning once fully acclimated, they may expand quite a bit in side. Look at the size of the foot -- if it seems large in proportion to the oral disc -- it may expand a lot larger than you'd expect.

Thanks @D-Nak Cool, before I purchase I'll definitely check out the size of the foot. My intent would be to do minimal feeding - I don't want it to get huge.

Anyone able to answer about risk to predation on healthy fish? Is it worth QT or just direct into DT?

I could potentially purchase the rock that it comes on - would that factor at all into reducing stress?

Cheers

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any anemone there's always a risk of fish loss. Those fish without swim bladders -- blennies, gobies, hawkfish, etc. -- are typically more vulnerable because they may accidentally wander into the anemone.

I QT any anemone, no matter where it's from and how long they've had it. It's far easier to monitor its condition while in a separate tank, and if it needs treatment, it can happen immediately because it doesn't have to be removed from the DT.

Regarding the rock, I always prefer to buy the anemone without the rock. Since magnifica like to spread out their foot on a flat surface, they're typically easy to remove. It's extremely hard to transport an anemone while still attached to a rock --the potential for injury is extremely high. The anemone could be smashed or twisted. There's also the risk of introducing pests that live on or in the rock, and even nuisance algae.

OP
OP
S

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any anemone there's always a risk of fish loss. Those fish without swim bladders -- blennies, gobies, hawkfish, etc. -- are typically more vulnerable because they may accidentally wander into the anemone.

I QT any anemone, no matter where it's from and how long they've had it. It's far easier to monitor its condition while in a separate tank, and if it needs treatment, it can happen immediately because it doesn't have to be removed from the DT.

Regarding the rock, I always prefer to buy the anemone without the rock. Since magnifica like to spread out their foot on a flat surface, they're typically easy to remove. It's extremely hard to transport an anemone while still attached to a rock --the potential for injury is extremely high. The anemone could be smashed or twisted. There's also the risk of introducing pests that live on or in the rock, and even nuisance algae.
@D-Nak

Thanks for your reply and wisdom.

I think I will be waiting early in the new year. That will give me a chance to get set up when everything calms down a little. I also have other commitments early in the new year that will complicate care for an Anemone in a new environment, so waiting will probably be better. Hopefully the LFS have issues selling - will give me a chance to observe over time!

Happy holidays.

Shaun

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding growth, if you don't feed it, it won't grow very much unless it gets a lot of indirect feedings from what you feed the tank
I’ve had mine about 4 yrs...I don’t feed it... it is now close to 3 ft across!
517DC7CA-3139-4B47-B46E-22B5E1F66F28.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back