H2O2 and algae removal

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of RDE frags laying around my tank. I had one in particular that had about 15 polyps on it, and just COVERED in hair algae. The algae was choking out the zoos. I have always used H202 to kill black brush algae in my FW tanks. I figured, the frag is a goner, if i dont do anything (manual removal wasnt working) so I made a *strong* mix of H2O2 and RO probly 30+ ml. of H2O2 to 3 oz. of RO. I soaked the frag for too long--15 min! I forgot about it floating in my QT tank. the HA was still green and flowy last night at bedtime, and the polyps were closed and P.O'd.
Tonight, after work, the HA is gone and more than half of the polyps are open and happy ,some are still closed though. There isnt even a speck of algea on the plug.. totally cleaned off. Even at 50% attrition it was worth it- and thats assuming those closed polyps dont make it.

Do you think this was a fluke, or did it really work?

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a 50/50 mix of peroxide and ro for a dip before but only for like 5 mins. Thats awesome if it kills hair algae. I have to try this on one of my frags that has some hair algae on it.

OP
OP
minibowmatt

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you've done 50/50 for 5 min, than i guess the 30ml for 15 wasnt that bad.... thats good to know too. I have a small piece of LR w/ some ORA polyps on it and its covered in creeping gracelaria. Im gonna try out the same recipe on that stuff. I hate that crap.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few plugs that have feather calerpa that i will try this out on. I will post results to see what happens.

OP
OP
minibowmatt

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry I didnt take pics... I wasnt even thinking about it... Ughh....
Today, the frag is still at 50% but the skirts are popping out on a few more. Some polyps definetly look like they will be lost though. :(

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next time try a q tip soaked and spread h202 directly on the hair algae. it will take a few treatments but your polyps wont suffer at all

xcorallusx

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you've done 50/50 for 5 min, than i guess the 30ml for 15 wasnt that bad.... thats good to know too. I have a small piece of LR w/ some ORA polyps on it and its covered in creeping gracelaria. Im gonna try out the same recipe on that stuff. I hate that crap.

ORA polyps??

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i would have know about this. I spend like 8 hours removing algae from my frag tanks plugs this past sunday :,( .

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back