H2O2 dosing vs Ozone

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You
I ordered a Poseidon 200 Ozone Generator - Ozotech.

I will update with my results. I do plan to use my current UV sterilizer with ozone. I plan to keep everything the same so I can see the effects before and after ozone with little to no changes.

It will arrive this Thursday (2-3 days)
Your not worried about oxidizing out minors and trace elements?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You
Your not worried about oxidizing out minors and trace elements?
Not really. I don‘t recall seeing anything about trace elements degradation in Randy’s article.

Morning update. My starting ORP was 250. Now it’s 350 (I pegged it there).

The water looked absolutely incredible last night. It looked HD and so crisp.

When I woke up I heard my skimmer rattling. I thought maybe a snail got inside? Impossible for ozone to destroy my skimmer when I put it at one of the lowest settings + using an Ozone safe skimmer.

I cleaned it and saw lots of brown gunk. Put it back together and the sound is completely gone.

My skimmer’s production has decreased since injecting ozone, I am still figuring it out, but I did read Randy’s article which did say that ozone can make certain organics change attraction etc. Ozone will make my organics smaller and bacteria can consume them at that smaller size, so whether skimming or bacteria consume the final product beats me.

I think I read somewhere that skimmers only remove 30% of organics in a tank, so maybe Ozone can increase the total amount of organics getting degraded.

I turned the tank lights on and the water (as always) looked a bit cloudy. Seems like something may have spawned. The tank always looks cloudy when I manually turn on the lights before the photoperiod.

I will wait until today afternoon to see if the clarity improved.

Thanks guys. :)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I don‘t recall seeing anything about trace elements degradation in Randy’s article.

Morning update. My starting ORP was 250. Now it’s 350 (I pegged it there).

The water looked absolutely incredible last night. It looked HD and so crisp.

When I woke up I heard my skimmer rattling. I thought maybe a snail got inside? Impossible for ozone to destroy my skimmer when I put it at one of the lowest settings + using an Ozone safe skimmer.

I cleaned it and saw lots of brown gunk. Put it back together and the sound is completely gone.

My skimmer’s production has decreased since injecting ozone, I am still figuring it out, but I did read Randy’s article which did say that ozone can make certain organics change attraction etc. Ozone will make my organics smaller and bacteria can consume them at that smaller size, so whether skimming or bacteria consume the final product beats me.

I think I read somewhere that skimmers only remove 30% of organics in a tank, so maybe Ozone can increase the total amount of organics getting degraded.

I turned the tank lights on and the water (as always) looked a bit cloudy. Seems like something may have spawned. The tank always looks cloudy when I manually turn on the lights before the photoperiod.

I will wait until today afternoon to see if the clarity improved.

Thanks guys. :)

This is a great live stream with andre mueller on reefdudes. I take all the information into consideration, but I am unsure of it my self because I've never used ozone or have the experience. At 1:12:00 in they talk briefly about ozone and increased oxidation to trace elements .

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv and h202 didn't make the water less yellow at all in my experience. However ozone did.
Did you have activated charcoal? Pretty sure what all I have read used all three together to produce the results.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s frightening. Not only because your items are damaged, but it could also harm your health.

I remember reading @Randy Holmes-Farley ’s article where he said using ozone in his skimmer caused his entire basement to stink like ozone.

So, what are we supposed to do about this?

@Wtyson254 Did you put carbon on top of the skimmer?
This is why I feel its safer to run UV, AC and H202. Those three pose no health risk, ozone has major health issues if everything is not always kept perfect.

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I feel its safer to un UV, AC and H202. Those three pose no health risk, ozone has major health issues if everything is not always kept perfect.
And first sign of an Ozone issue when you come home is the smell, sometimes you can't smell something in your house until you leave for a while. :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cory @Big E

Update.

Left Bucket: Tank water with ozone after 1 week (max 400 ORP).
Right bucket: Instant Ocean salt mixed with 0ppm TDS RO/DI for 10 hours.

1EF97759-8124-479F-8D43-D57EC5BB2046.jpeg

I’m ecstatic about the results. :)

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I feel its safer to run UV, AC and H202. Those three pose no health risk, ozone has major health issues if everything is not always kept perfect.
200 MG is not going to kill anything in your house unless your house is a refidgerator box.. you would be blown away by the smell if it was at toxic levels.. and pretending peroxide is not safe is foolish its a class 5 oxidizer. haz mat.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cory @Big E

Update.

Well done sir; well done.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Cory @Big E

Update.

bucket on the right is crooked!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see a 3rd bucket with water that uses activated carbon and coral snow (after it clears up).
I showed a before and after of using a reactor full of carbon ROX 0.8 It ran in my tank 2 days before the results.

That amount of carbon and the way I used it showed ”best case scenario”. I usually use much less carbon passively in a media bag.

The tank water still showed yellowing compared to RO/DI water. I’m positive my tank would have been more yellow had I done the test using my standard carbon practice.

I personally don’t think using calcium carbonate will be more effective than carbon (if so, more people would be using it since it’s cheap, readily available, easy to dose, and pretty harmless to the tank inhabitants).

However, I solely make that claim based on the skepticism in me that tends to not fall for the “too good to be true” gimmick. I could be wrong. :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of your setup? Is it just the ozone generator hooked up to the skimmer? Or is there more to it?
Just the ozone connected the the silencer part of the skimmer. Super simple and easy.

I have activated carbon on the output and I also have a carbon sheet that sits above the skimmer lid.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to start running an ozone generator soon and was wondering what are your results so far. Are you happy you set it up? Are you still running uv?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is better against parasite ozone or h2o2?
Can they be run together?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is better against parasite ozone or h2o2?
Can they be run together?
Ozone is NOT effective for parasites.

Peroxide might be for some parasites. Try making a thread is the fish disease forum and tag @Jay Hemdal

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back