H2O2 dosing vs Ozone

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone comment about the similarities/differences between the two approaches? Risk/benefits? I know that both methods work via free radical oxidation, but I was wondering if there has been a wider discussion.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is much documentation for treating drinking water. basically if you inject peroxide if will make your ozone more effective. I dont see the need for H202, as the amounts of ozone needed are so small and its cheap and easy. Never tried straight up H2O2, would not even know where to begin to measure it and to start base line dosage with it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is a one time purchase that can be operated for years without additional consumables. It also always operates at peak efficiency. H2O2 requires constant replenishment and its effect will diminish over time without constant dosing. H2O2 will also lower your ORP while Ozone will increase your ORP. They work in opposite ways.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone comment about the similarities/differences between the two approaches? Risk/benefits? I know that both methods work via free radical oxidation, but I was wondering if there has been a wider discussion.

They do somewhat different things. What aspect of them do you want?

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do somewhat different things. What aspect of them do you want?
I started H2O2 dosing as a response to a velvet outbreak and have sense continued it as I feel it helps with water clarity, disease prevention, and algae growth prevention. Right now im dosing around 64ml of 3% H202 per day (split up) in my 108gallon tank. I find that this has helped my aquarium tremendously (and has allowed me to decrease my UV sterilizer usage). My main issue with H202 dosing is the actual amount I am having to dose, and to a lesser degree the transient ORP drop following dosing (though im not sure this actually affects anything).

I have considered switching from H2O2 dosing to ozone, but was wondering the pros/cons and if it would have a similar effect on my tank.

I know that this is an over simplification, but do they not work in similar ways, oxidization compounds in the water?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is a much stronger oxidising agent. Its also much easier to dose at a constant rate. its very hard to know exactly what dose of peroxide you are actually using as your stock will always be reacting with air so your 3% solution is a ballpark 3% depending how full your bottle is.

in solution 03+H202 yields H2O +2O2 . The peroxide is not the oxidizing agent its acts as the reducing agent. Ozone doesnt drop your ORP it will raise it.

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is a much stronger oxidising agent. Its also much easier to dose at a constant rate. its very hard to know exactly what dose of peroxide you are actually using as your stock will always be reacting with air so your 3% solution is a ballpark 3% depending how full your bottle is.

in solution 03+H202 yields H2O +2O2 . The peroxide is not the oxidizing agent its acts as the reducing agent. Ozone doesnt drop your ORP it will raise it.
Why is O3 reacting with H2O2? Not H2O in your ozone equation

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im showing what happens when ozone and peroxide react... basically its a stronger oxidizer.
Ok. But id one was to pick one method of oxidation based filtration/water sterilization. (Which I plan to do) what would be the risks/benefits of both. That’s the question I’m asking.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant see any advantage to using peroxide, its less stable , harder to introduce into the marine environment, and must be constantly added to have any residual benefits. Why mess with refilling liquids when a simple ozone generator airline into a skimmer set basically once and forget it. Use orp controller to set the upper limit and just change probes as required.

Never had any benefit to running a low ORP wich is what your peroxide is doing , most people want to raise ORP which comes with Ozone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, neither hydrogen peroxide dosing nor ozone will sterilize the water they way reefers use them. Concentrations and contact times are too short.

If water sterilization is the goal, a UV is a much better bet.

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant see any advantage to using peroxide, its less stable , harder to introduce into the marine environment, and must be constantly added to have any residual benefits. Why mess with refilling liquids when a simple ozone generator airline into a skimmer set basically once and forget it. Use orp controller to set the upper limit and just change probes as required.

Never had any benefit to running a low ORP wich is what your peroxide is doing , most people want to raise ORP which comes with Ozone.
When the H2O2 is added it does drop the ORP, but my ORP (avg) is higher when H2O2 dosing then when I’m not.

Attachments

• 28012E61-D97B-4001-B243-AC7817C3EB2F.png
    28012E61-D97B-4001-B243-AC7817C3EB2F.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I’m in a small NYC apartment so was worried about the harmful effects of ozone on me. That was my main concern.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, neither hydrogen peroxide dosing nor ozone will sterilize the water they way reefers use them. Concentrations and contact times are too short.

If water sterilization is the goal, a UV is a much better bet.
What’s the difference in water clarity with using UV + activated carbon vs Ozone + activated carbon?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the difference in water clarity with using UV + activated carbon vs Ozone + activated carbon?
In my experience, a uv sterilizer doesnt clear the water at all besides killing off phytoplankton which might tint the water green. However ozone is amazing at removing tints of yellow and brown from the water. Activated carbon works but isnt as impactful as or as long lasting as ozone. If i could choose one only id choose ozone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never seen a direct comparison, but my expectation is that proper use of ozone will make water less yellow than a UV. It's the only method I've seen folks claim that resulting aquarium water is invisible.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a direct comparison, but my expectation is that proper use of ozone will make water less yellow than a UV. It's the only method I've seen folks claim that resulting aquarium water is invisible.
But doesn’t activated carbon handle the yellowing?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does! Before and after in a bucket:
My tank has 0 yellow tint. I change my carbon a lot.

I read a thread that ozone was superior to uv in achieving the cristal clear, no water effect. That’s why I posted here.

I don’t believe my tank needs yellow reduction, but rather removing/killing the free floating bacteria is what gives me the 0 water effect IMO.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But doesn’t activated carbon handle the yellowing?

Just not as well, based on reports from folks using GAC but adding ozone.

I too saw less yellow in the water, and I think I was already using GAC:

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

1664212601803.png

Figure 1. Two digital photographs of a plastic bar taken through four feet of aquarium water. The bar on the left was taken before using ozone, and the bar on the right was taken after two weeks on ozone. The numbers were written onto the bar with marking pens. All camera settings were identical.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back