Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reef2reef.com/threads/5-new-...be-cured-using-a-rasp-and-a-test-rock.257862/

a rasp treats bryopsis

peroxide seals the deal

peroxide alone is variable, as we see reported, rasp alone has a little more growback work too but can still beat bryopsis alone if all mass is simply removed. Bry is an obligate hitchhiker

together, nothing works better. guess how nice my friends frag plug looks, updates soon

:)

I read your thread last night prior to deciding to do the Mg dosing. I agree about the rasp and H2O2 treatment for sure. The syringe treatment I did on my Rastas plug was very effective. Pulling every rock that is effected then treating with a rasp/H2O2 and then retreating isn't going to be easy. I'm currently working in a 20g eruo brace octogon. YUK!

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never try in take treatment with h2o2, but as stated it would definitely work out of tank.
Mag will kill briopsis and can be dangerous to some inverts, especially starfish.
If you are worried about the cost, you can purchase 50 pound bags of mgso4 and mgcl for about $20 each and they should last your life. I get the epsom salt from a farm supply and the mgcl is an ice melter. 1800-2000 ppm has worked for me. You have to maintain that level for a few months to make sure it stays away and dies off completely

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The in tank treatment using h2o2 will not be effective enough to warrant the use of h2o2. The dose would have to be over 5 times that amount every 12 hours. This would not be a safe approach.
The magnesium route is ok as long as you test frequently as I do heed warning to inverts if increased rapidly.
http://healthyaquatics.com/guides/e...-diseases-reef-parasites-and-nuisance-anima-7

Thanks for posting the link. I've never tested my Mg levels in the tank. Is it possible bryopsis spreads when Mg levels are under the norm?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very easy to make the rasp work on the concrete frag plugs vs the holey lr that's for sure, but as a little bio model the frag plugs are exacting. if a plant and its holdfast are removed fully and not one bit remains, its gone says my granny who did this to dandelions for a really long time quite effectively wo chems

that was garden rasping heh

but then again in tanks, we are usually partially doing something instead of fully (access is so hard in anything but picos/nanos agreed) and that fragmentation happens to be a fine asexual reproductive pathway for the bry

it will seem like the rasp area didn't work, but fragmentation and resettling is different.

It brings the #1 rule into light: farm not, cheat quickly to win or play the variations game.

every challenge bry tank on the planet had an interception phase, skipped, where partial water actions were chosen for one reason or another. Literally every bryopsis tank challenge in the world was made that way on purpose, by the keeper, while searching for actions.

Last edited:

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never try in take treatment with h2o2, but as stated it would definitely work out of tank.
Mag will kill briopsis and can be dangerous to some inverts, especially starfish.
If you are worried about the cost, you can purchase 50 pound bags of mgso4 and mgcl for about $20 each and they should last your life. I get the epsom salt from a farm supply and the mgcl is an ice melter. 1800-2000 ppm has worked for me. You have to maintain that level for a few months to make sure it stays away and dies off completely

Thanks for listing the cheaper alternatives! I read this last night but lost the source. Epsome salts is the one I was trying to remeber. I read that Kents is simply diluted ice melter, but I'll dish out the $28 for some piece of mind.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very easy to make the rasp work on the concrete frag plugs vs the holey lr that's for sure, but as a little bio model the frag plugs are exacting. if a plant and its holdfast are removed fully and not one bit remains, its gone says my granny who did this to dandelions for a really long time quite effectively wo chems

that was garden rasping heh

but then again in tanks, we are usually partially doing something instead of fully (access is so hard in anything but picos/nanos agreed) and that fragmentation happens to be a fine asexual reproductive pathway for the bry

I agree completely.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we've seen drunken snails off a magnesium/heavy metal weekend run who were zombies...fallen over and stuff
many posts online state CUC losses off a good magnesium option for bry. id have to say peroxide has a better no loss track record there but not as many cures as magnesium, when dosing things to the water. its still a viable player there though

mg boosting has more bry saves online than any method so far by a 3:1 margin imo, it has a great chance of working and that's still variable, vs just parrotfishing some rock into compliance, by crushing or shearing force. natures turf algae removers are the urchins, hawksbills, parrotfishes...the sand poopers as they can find algae/nutrient bits in the rocks still after the tangs get through with the weed eating part eating only the top growths (leaves holdfasts for access by niche adapted feeders)

as grazers go, those who do full removal vs topgrowth only removal are part of an amazing ideal balance that's for sure. its neat to try and tie in the things we do for plant control into full scale reefing. Santa Monica is good about tying nitrogen fixation into his science and continuing onward there are rasp mimics that provide an equal and required physicality as well.

Last edited:

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where to get H2O2 that's stronger that the typical 3%?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, It would be used outside of the aquarium. I'm looking to clean lr of the nemesis of bryopsis.

Yeah, I just bought some. I'm doing the same. Treat everything before moving it all into the 65g. I don't believe this Mg treatment is going to work at all. Maybe the blend was changed, or an evolved species of Bry. I'm sending samples to @JimWelsh to test the effects of Lithium Chloride. Is LiCl is the secret element that kills Bry? We will soon find out.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just bought some. I'm doing the same. Treat everything before moving it all into the 65g. I don't believe this Mg treatment is going to work at all. Maybe the blend was changed, or an evolved species of Bry. I'm sending samples to @JimWelsh to test the effects of Lithium Chloride. Is LiCl is the secret element that kills Bry? We will soon find out.
I'm following the Lithium treatment as well. Never can know too much.

TexanTrail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7869[1].JPG IMG_7866[1].JPG
Straight 3% peroxide using a syringe to soak the bryopsis for 4 minutes
After soaking the bryopsis there is no need to rinse the rock. H2O2 is harmless.
The coral is up to you. Most all coral will be fine when out of the water for 4 minutes.

@twilliard I have a fairly new tank (<3 months old) and seeing some bryopsis appearing on my live rock. 4 or 5 different spots. No coral yet growing on those rocks. What are your thoughts on just putting in the whole rock into H2O2 for 4 minutes? Would it be ok to put the rock back into the tank without rinsing? The green algae is from starting a new tank and was semi-expecting..

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Continuum reef basis treatment doesnt appear to be having an impact on this Bry. I ordered all new dry rock from marco for the 65g. At some point I will have to resort to H2O2, scrubbing, and rasping 50lbs of mature live rock. Very disappointed in the false claims, the time, money, and effort I put into this. Maybe I have some super industructible version idk, just know everything hasnt worked.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add something REALLY important! If you know you have Bryopsis in your system dont give it to someone else to make a quick buck, and if you are going to still do a sale, at least involve them enough to educate them what this algae is.

I will be letting the community know who this seller is and to beware of his future sales. He is active on reef central, as well as new hampshire frag swap website. He has not returned my messages since ive asked him about it. This algae can and will deter people from this hobby, so it should be taken more seriously. I feel its the HERPES of this hobby. Shame on me for not trying to get rid of it when it was a few strands, shame on him for claiming to be a knowledgable hobbyist and doing this for 6 years.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7869[1].JPG IMG_7866[1].JPG

@twilliard I have a fairly new tank (<3 months old) and seeing some bryopsis appearing on my live rock. 4 or 5 different spots. No coral yet growing on those rocks. What are your thoughts on just putting in the whole rock into H2O2 for 4 minutes? Would it be ok to put the rock back into the tank without rinsing? The green algae is from starting a new tank and was semi-expecting..
That will kill most all life on and in the rock as a heads up. You can do that knowing micro-fauna will not survive. It will clear up the rock however.
I would dunk the rock afterwards in saltwater as the rock will be loaded with H2O2. Otherwise safe to add back to the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back