H2O2 to treat bryopsis?

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent Magnesium is doing nothing to my bryopsis, I have had it up to 1500-1600 for 3 weeks and it is growing just the same. Will h2o2 hurt my corals if I dose? I have mix of SPS lps and all are healthy. I have been debating replacing my rock with tbs rock. Any negative affects to replacing rock and sand in an established tank (8months old with stable parameters and good growth in SPS) with a very shallow sand bed?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to remove a rock at a time h2o2 will take care of it.
Pull a rock out and soak the bryopsis for 4 minutes then put the rock back into the tank.
It will be dead in 72 hours. Do not soak corals. The rock will be fine out of the water for 4 minutes.
In tank treatment for bryopsis using h2o2 is difficult as it takes large amounts to be effective.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the corals attached or encrusted to each piece of rock? Should I detach from rock and reattach after soaking? Do I rinse rock heavily after soaking in h2o2 before placing back in tank ? Straight peroxide or dilluted? Thanks so much

If you are able to remove a rock at a time h2o2 will take care of it.
Pull a rock out and soak the bryopsis for 4 minutes then put the rock back into the tank.
It will be dead in 72 hours. Do not soak corals. The rock will be fine out of the water for 4 minutes.
In tank treatment for bryopsis using h2o2 is difficult as it takes large amounts to be effective.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the corals attached or encrusted to each piece of rock? Should I detach from rock and reattach after soaking? Do I rinse rock heavily after soaking in h2o2 before placing back in tank ? Straight peroxide or dilluted? Thanks so much
Straight 3% peroxide using a syringe to soak the bryopsis for 4 minutes
After soaking the bryopsis there is no need to rinse the rock. H2O2 is harmless.
The coral is up to you. Most all coral will be fine when out of the water for 4 minutes.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am developing a bryopsis problem slowly here. Came in on some high end paly species months ago and just now is starting to take off out of control. If I knew then that a simple dip in H2O2 was the fix I would have done it. SMH.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good new for me is I can treat the rock when I move it into the 65g. Sooner the better!

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight 3% peroxide using a syringe to soak the bryopsis for 4 minutes
After soaking the bryopsis there is no need to rinse the rock. H2O2 is harmless.
The coral is up to you. Most all coral will be fine when out of the water for 4 minutes.
Thank you so much for the information, I will try this tomorrow and share before and after

ant203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally dosed h202 in my 60G and I have not had any negative affect off course dosing in small amounts in my personal tank I did 1 ml for every 10 gallons twice a day in the early mornings and at night 1 hour before lights out to be on the safe side for about a month haven't dosed in about 2 months tank is clear. Helps boost GFO reactor as well so I believe

vpreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used 35% peroxide directly on the rock outside the tank and have had bryopsis come back after a week or so.
Its the roots that is the issue, they root themselves into the rock and unless you can dig into the rock to remove the roots, it eventually will come back.

Evil stuff...

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'll give a try. Manually remove as I can, treat frags with H2O2 when it comes back, lower nutrients by cutting feeding back, reduce lighting, and dose using kents tech m.

I read about bryopsis dropping spores when/if nutrients aren't available to sustain going into a state of dormancy, until a supply returns. Of all algae's to get...

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard have you tried this on bryopsis?

"You want to raise your magnesium around 90 ppm per day, not exceeding 100 ppm in 24 hours.

To calculate how much to use I would suggest using this calculator on this site. Put in your water volume, which is the total amount of water in your tank not your tank size, then put in your current magnesium levels and then add 90 to that number. It will give you the amount to add in ml.

With me having a about 35-40 gallons of total water volume I added 180 ml to raise my magnesium around 80-100 ppm.

My starting magnesium was 1390 ppm and after adding the amount above it was raised to 1510. Which means I added a little too much. I will have to watch everything now but I hope this will not hurt anything that bad."

- claic yuzolt 2009
3reef.com

http://www.3reef.com/threads/bryopsis-learn-what-it-is-and-how-to-kill-it.100365/page-2

Ibra9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix sps, lps tank (mainly sps).
Here's the story of my battle.:cool:
I pulled out rocks to soak in half H2O2 half old water from the tank about 4 minutes. Red Hot Chile Pepper monti bleeched but it healed and remained it's color. Bryopsis still coming back after a week.:mad:
Then I tried different way. Pull out the rocks, manually removed bryopsis as much as I could and sprayed directly to bryopsis areas. It seems better but still coming back. It was a pain for not breaking corals when pulling rocks out. After breaking quite a bit of them:mad:, I decided to dose Kent Tech M. I did research about this method before and this time I gave it a try.
Now I enjoy watching bryopsis "melting" everyday.:D I can not say it is successful yet but at least I don't have to deal with pullinh rocks out every time I do water change. I dosed Kent Tech M about 2 weeks ago to 1800 ppm. Using reef calculator, rising slowly Mg less than 100 ppm per day. Tested Mg everyday when I was rising it to the target point (1800-1900 ppm), then test it every 3-4 days. I will keep high Mg for 1 month. Then I will do 5-10% water change every week to bring the Mg down. I've read some where that it may take 6 months to bring it back to 1300 ppm but It will be a good chance to export nutrition too :)
I use salifert Mg test. The instruction just showing maximum at 1500 ppm.
Here is the table for Mg higher than 1500 ppm.
Read in ml -PPM
0.70-1950
0.72 -1920
0.74 -1890
0.76 -1860
0.78 -1830
0.80- 1800
0.82 -1770
0.84 -1740
0.86 -1710
0.88 -1680
0.90 -1650
0.92- 1620
0.94- 1590
0.96 -1560
0.98 -1530
0.00 - 1500
0.02- 1470
0.04 -1440

Last edited:

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide only slowed the growth of bryopsis when I dosed it directly at 1ml per 10 gallons daily.

Tech M worked extremely well when I kept Mg at 2000-2100ppm for 2 weeks. The tangs, angels, and emerald crabs started to eat it once the algae was weakened and the rest melted away.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard have you tried this on bryopsis?

"You want to raise your magnesium around 90 ppm per day, not exceeding 100 ppm in 24 hours.

To calculate how much to use I would suggest using this calculator on this site. Put in your water volume, which is the total amount of water in your tank not your tank size, then put in your current magnesium levels and then add 90 to that number. It will give you the amount to add in ml.

With me having a about 35-40 gallons of total water volume I added 180 ml to raise my magnesium around 80-100 ppm.

My starting magnesium was 1390 ppm and after adding the amount above it was raised to 1510. Which means I added a little too much. I will have to watch everything now but I hope this will not hurt anything that bad."

- claic yuzolt 2009
3reef.com

http://www.3reef.com/threads/bryopsis-learn-what-it-is-and-how-to-kill-it.100365/page-2
I have tested magnesium in the past. It has varied results. The only problem with using this method is the fact that a person is overdosing a component in the tank. This overdose can be harmful to inverts.

Now for the people who have used h2o2 and have had the bryopsis return.
There is a section of error in applying the h2o2. When applied correctly it will never return. Let's say it takes practice to get it right. Yes if you miss any of the root section it will come back.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide only slowed the growth of bryopsis when I dosed it directly at 1ml per 10 gallons daily.

Tech M worked extremely well when I kept Mg at 2000-2100ppm for 2 weeks. The tangs, angels, and emerald crabs started to eat it once the algae was weakened and the rest melted away.
In tank treatment with h2o2 would have to be more along the lines of 5-10ml per 10 gallons every 12 hours. This is why I do not lay out a treatment plan for in tank treatment using h2o2.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested magnesium in the past. It has varied results. The only problem with using this method is the fact that a person is overdosing a component in the tank. This overdose can be harmful to inverts.

Now for the people who have used h2o2 and have had the bryopsis return.
There is a section of error in applying the h2o2. When applied correctly it will never return. Let's say it takes practice to get it right. Yes if you miss any of the root section it will come back.

Everyone I read doing the magnesium treatment claimed no problems with inverts, or fish. I read about a few cases where the high mag effected some corals, a monti specially. Person said it died back a little but worked through it, came back 100%. I think as long as we remin below the 100ppm per day we should be fine. The only draw back I'm reading is that the Mg dosing can get expensive. I ordered a 64oz. Bottle of Kents last night for under $28 shipped. I'm hoping the single bottle will be enough to do the full treatment. Once we get Mg level to goal, I believe it needs to be held for a couple weeks. Also during this time it's crucial to hold salinity to 1.026. I hold my salinity at 1.0255 on the reg. I also ordered a Salifert Mg test kit.

Is there any danger in dosing Mg up to 100ppm per day until reaching 1600-2000ppm, and also dosing H2O2 1-2ml per day? Or would that be considered over redundant? I'm all about nuking this bryopsis out of existance, as long as the treatment doesn't kill anything.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back