Had my hammer for 1 day in my display..

Hornet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a small tank with just one red hermit (had 2.. started fighting, I gave them more food and more shells, still one left.. He's grown quite a lot and went from tiny to pretty big in 7 months) and 1 pistol shrimp and coral.

I decided I wanted more movement in the tank so I decided on a hammer coral and duncan. I already had some zoa's (hitchhikers), tubastrea faulkneri (which is doing pretty good), GSP (which is not doing so good, it seemed to be irritated by something and losing parts.. so I moved it up where at least my hermit can't crawl over it it and it seems to be doing a bit better) and a caulastrea furcata which seems to be doing ok as well.

I target feed the tank daily with pellets, mysis or copepods (frozen). I put my coral in my tank after monitoring for a while and it was doing great. I was pretty happy with it.

But then the next day.. parts of it were missing, like.. chunks were missing. I put it away in a soap holder with suction cups on the wall of the tank so I could monitor it again. And behold! The hermit was climbing the soap holder trying to get to it. It kept climbing till it was at the top of the water, the holder rim was just at the edge of the water, which is probably the reason why the hermit stopped climbing.

My hammer didn't make it. How big is the chance my hermit will go after other corals as well, or other future inverts or fish? And could he be the culprit for my GSP not doing so great?

PS. Sorry if I put this in the wrong section!

Last edited:

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of things that can be happening. First off... The normal questions:
How big is your tank?
What are your water parameters?
Lighting? (these questions are more to do with some of your coral not being happy and less to do with your hermit crab)

Its possible the hermit is going after your coral because it's already dying and it's wants to eat the necrotic tissue or algae growing on the dying tissue.
It could also be your hermit crab is an *******.
Personally I got rid of all but 2 of my hermits. because they were always bulldozing over my frags and knocking down anything that wasn't permanently glued in place.
I have heard tales of pistol shrimp picking at coral but never have had that experience.

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Paguristes cadenati, decided on that one cause it was said to be the least agressive and the smallest for as far as I could find. It does bulldoze everything. The Pistol I am not worried about.

Tank is 52 liters with about 18 liters sump.
Lighting is a aquatlantis Aquatlantis Easy LED Marine blue (28 watts).

The hammer was looking great before, but I know that does not say much.. Same goes for the GSP, that looked great before too.

Water was at the time:
25 degrees celcius
Nitrate 1 mg/l
Po4 <0,03
KH 8
CA 425
mg 1300
PH 8,2

If there's something off on the parameters I would like to know! (Am still a beginner after all :) )

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back