New Hammer

cutlass5268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this hammer coral I bought from a LFS, seems pale to me, but it’s my first coral. I’ve had it 3 weeks now. Full disclosure, I did drop it a couple weeks ago while trying to break off the frag plug. But it seemed to bounce back pretty quickly. I just have a Nicrew marine 30” light strip for the tank right now, running 95% blue and 20% white. I know the par is probably not great with this light, but I have a new one coming tomorrow. I also have a couple of BTA’s and a Borneman anenome, which are all doing great.
I know my epoxy/glue job is terrible, but I was freaking out after dropping it and just wanted to get it secured in the tank so I could leave it alone. I’ve done lots of searching, but can’t figure out why the bottom part of the hammer is so transparent. Not sure if it needs more light or something. I don’t have a PAR meter, and because I live in a small city, there’s not one to rent anywhere.
My water seems to test fine;
SG. 1.024
Phosphate .005
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 2.5ppm
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity 8.0

Anyway, here’s some pictures to see what you all think.
Thanks!!
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0132.jpeg

OP
OP
cutlass5268

cutlass5268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I’ll just leave the hammer alone. Hopefully it will be okay with the new light once I get it installed. I felt like the worst person on the planet when I dropped it!! I’ve been feeding it reef energy plus almost every day, which seemed to help it recover pretty quickly.
Omg, those hooligans are awesome!! That’s a really good picture!! I love standards, but was only allowed to get a mini. Although he’s a big mini;

IMG_0499.jpeg

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this hammer coral I bought from a LFS, seems pale to me, but it’s my first coral. I’ve had it 3 weeks now. Full disclosure, I did drop it a couple weeks ago while trying to break off the frag plug. But it seemed to bounce back pretty quickly. I just have a Nicrew marine 30” light strip for the tank right now, running 95% blue and 20% white. I know the par is probably not great with this light, but I have a new one coming tomorrow. I also have a couple of BTA’s and a Borneman anenome, which are all doing great.
I know my epoxy/glue job is terrible, but I was freaking out after dropping it and just wanted to get it secured in the tank so I could leave it alone. I’ve done lots of searching, but can’t figure out why the bottom part of the hammer is so transparent. Not sure if it needs more light or something. I don’t have a PAR meter, and because I live in a small city, there’s not one to rent anywhere.
SG. 1.024
Phosphate .005
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 2.5ppm
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity 8.0

Thanks!!
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0132.jpeg
You can rent a par meter from BRS relatively cheap. Calcium looks fine, hammers like magnesium slightly elevated, I keep mine at 1400. I would get your nutrients up, your phosphate is nearly bottomed out, opens the door for dinos. Shoot for phosphates at.05-.1 and nitrates at 10-15. Your hammer looks fine and I don’t think you caused any damage with dropping it. Here’s my standard poodle with his best friend. Happy reefing!
73BDE0D3-4BBB-457F-93BE-45AB2BCF0E1A.jpeg

Upvote 0

oregon reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG. 1.024
Phosphate .005
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 2.5ppm
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity 8.0

Thanks!!
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0132.jpeg
That hammer looks just like it is supposed to. I’ve seen these online. Don’t worry. It’s happy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cutlass5268

cutlass5268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rent a par meter from BRS relatively cheap. Calcium looks fine, hammers like magnesium slightly elevated, I keep mine at 1400. I would get your nutrients up, your phosphate is nearly bottomed out, opens the door for dinos. Shoot for phosphates at.05-.1 and nitrates at 10-15. Your hammer looks fine and I don’t think you caused any damage with dropping it. Here’s my standard poodle with his best friend. Happy reefing!
73BDE0D3-4BBB-457F-93BE-45AB2BCF0E1A.jpeg
That looks like a comfy pillow he’s got there

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back