Had to execute a Clownfish divorce. Should they get a second shot at love?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 10 days, my Clowns have been been bickering more than usual. The larger Clown has chased the male to the point of him jumping and sometimes just hanging out in the top corner alone. They didn’t hang out as much, and I often found them alone in separate areas of the tank.

Then, this morning, I thought I had a miracle - not only were they playing nice, but they were also hanging around the anemone (they usually ignore it in favour of a Tupperware full of mushrooms…).

IMB_jn3Afg.gif

However, I checked in later today and once again they were fighting, but this time I saw the larger Clown take a chunk out of the little male’s fin. I noticed another mark on his tail fin as well.

I couldn’t watch anymore so I moved the larger Clown to my 25 lagoon. I’ve seen the whole seizure dance routine many times in Clowns, but I don’t remember this kind of aggression. Failed pairing?

Should I give them another shot once he’s healed up? They both have an entire tank to themselves.

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to try is to place the male inside an acclimation box within your aquarium. I've had to do this when trying to pair young clowns when one ends up being a little too dominant.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ive sumped a few females in my time when they were having a bit of a "domestic dispute" lol

A week apart or so and try again! If she still insists on being a rough lover (and the poor male is beat to a pulp) you can try a few more times a little longer. But she might just be one mean clown lol

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 10 days, my Clowns have been been bickering more than usual. The larger Clown has chased the male to the point of him jumping and sometimes just hanging out in the top corner alone. They didn’t hang out as much, and I often found them alone in separate areas of the tank.

Then, this morning, I thought I had a miracle - not only were they playing nice, but they were also hanging around the anemone (they usually ignore it in favour of a Tupperware full of mushrooms…).

IMB_jn3Afg.gif

However, I checked in later today and once again they were fighting, but this time I saw the larger Clown take a chunk out of the little male’s fin. I noticed another mark on his tail fin as well.

I couldn’t watch anymore so I moved the larger Clown to my 25 lagoon. I’ve seen the whole seizure dance routine many times in Clowns, but I don’t remember this kind of aggression. Failed pairing?

Should I give them another shot once he’s healed up? They both have an entire tank to themselves.
No

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back