Haddoni anemone only enlarges with blue light

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ballyhoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ballyhoo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2024
Messages
840
Reaction score
228
Location
san diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not exactly sure why but during the day when the LED lights go on in the morning when it's blue, my Haddoni is relatively its normal size, but as the white light becomes dominant, it shrivels into the size of almost a quarter and then at night time the clown fish get in there almost really doing everything they can brushing up against it to make it larger and by the morning it's to the normal size again. This seems very odd to me and also I'm not feeding it. Anything should I be?m feeding it? I figure it just gets nutrition from the fish food. i've read where you don't really need to feed them. They get food from the light and probably the clown fish.
also, I am not using strong lighting my tank had an issue with dyanos so I'm using kind of a lite light schedule.

thanks for your answer

image.jpg
 
ok , well I have the Red Sea Led 50. and right now and the nem is very puffy active. But I know it seems like in the next few hours as white becomes dominant over the course of the day it's gonna shrink which is odd.
I do have the LED 50 set on lower setting so it's their small LED and only one like 10% white to try to reduce microalgae
thank you.

this is the current setting, for example, at the moment and it's nice and puffy.

IMG_6977.jpeg
 
What does it look like under white light ? Almost looks bleached from your pic and your light settings are too low
 
In my experience, a bleached anemone doesn't tolerate bright full spectrum lighting. It doesn't have its natural 'sunscreen' aka zooxanthellae, so it will retract or move to a shaded area. When it has regained its zooxanthellae and darkened up, it will again enjoy high, full spectrum, light intensity. Feed it small portions every couple of days to help it maintain energy and start to replenish its zooxanthellae.
 
last few days I've been feeding my Haddoni like recommended sparingly in the morning a little bit increase the light and she's really blooming now.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 102
Great news! Best of luck with it! Carpet anemones are always a fun addition to the reef.......as long as they don't eat any of your other fish. ;)
 
I agree that it's going to be a long road to recovery. I rarely recommend feeding anemones, but in this case I do since it's not getting its nutrients from the zooxanthellae (because it looks like there isn't much). Once the zoox population bounces back, you can cut back feeding significantly.
 
I'm not sure the color is that different from when i bought it. maybe it had a light hint of brown. IDK
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new