Haddoni Cephalexin Treatment

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone! I wanted to post a thread to let everyone know about the success I had have using Fish Flex (Cephalexin) on a few Haddoni. Long story short, I have an established GIANT (maybe 20") blue haddoni that I have had for some time. I recently acquired 2 additional haddoni, one from a friend (small blue) and one from Petco (bleached striped).... for $5..... I, for whatever reason decided to just pop the small blue in the established haddoni tank. After about 3 days, the death march began. I had already set up a QT tank for the Petco haddoni, so I decided to use that as a hospital tank and treat them with some Fish Flex I happened to have on hand. The usual gut expelling and poopoo cycle began with both of them. To my dismay, returning home the day after removing the small blue, I noticed my established haddoni in its display tank was deflated. I immediately set up a second tank and moved the established haddoni to its own hospital tank. Fast forward to today (2/6). The established haddoni is on its second dose of treatment and back to being inflated with minimal stomach expulsion. The Petco and small blue are on their 3rd dose of treatment, both looking great. I thought the small blue was a goner for sure, but after the 3rd dose, it really perked up. My success might be due to my timing of treatment, but it also might be due to Cephalexin. When I initially set up the hospital tanks, I did a search for anemone Fish Flex treatment and found nothing other than Cipro treatment. I will continue to update this thread daily with more pictures as the treatment continues. I plan to continue a 250mg dose for a 10 day period. Then leave the nems in the hospital tank an additional week with no antibiotics. I did order a course of Cipro, which comes in Friday, just in case. Please see the attached pictures for reference. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks to reading!

Treatment 1 left tank, Treatment 2 right tank
1.JPG

Treatment 2, really didn't catch the mouth out, but you know the drama.
2.jpg

Treatment 1, night, attached.
3.jpg

Treatment 3, looking good
4.jpg

Treatment 3, from the front
5.jpg

Treatment 2, doing the mouth thing
6.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear!! I know many nems come in with bacterial infections. Hoping your treatment has the desired effects!!
Keep the updates coming!!!

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. Came home this afternoon early to find everybody pretty much the same. I will do. 50% water change and dose another 250mg. This will be the 4th dose for the little blue/Petco bleached and the 3rd dose for the established haddoni.
IMG_0577.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics this morning, but the dosing and water change went as planned yesterday. The Cephalexin seems to be doing a great job. I am surprised that there are no other threads created using this product. The large established blue has been shedding the skin/mucus on its foot during this treatment. I saw someone mention this in another post when treating a larger Haddoni with antibiotics. Does anyone know what the reason for this is? Also, this Haddoni has been a bit of a wanderer over the past 6 months. It lives in a relatively small tank with a deep sand bed. It was attached to the back for some time, but now just sits on the top of the sand. It is healthy, but just chooses not to attached to anything, I guess. The tank only has a return pump so its not getting really any flow to blow it around. Because of it not being attached, the foot (when taking it out for this treatment) seems hard almost callused. Maybe the antibiotic is giving it a pedicure?

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really ready to get these guys back in this display! Dose 6 for the little blue and Petco bleached. Dose 5 for the big blue. Everything is still going well!
IMG_0584.jpg
IMG_0585.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @HotRocks did you guys see this thread?
Knowing what you guys have cooking, and also knowing MANY nems come in with bacterial infections, could this be a viable option for you guys?? It really seemed to work well..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @HotRocks did you guys see this thread?
Knowing what you guys have cooking, and also knowing MANY nems come in with bacterial infections, could this be a viable option for you guys?? It really seemed to work well..

Cephalexin isn't especially effective vs. fish bacterial infections. This experiment was done on FW fish, but Cephalexin didn't perform well against a strain of Aeromonas - a genus of Gram-negative bacteria which widely afflicts SW fish as well: https://www.ijcmas.com/vol-3-12/Surya Kanta Samal, et al.pdf

Ciprofloxacin, on the other hand, does show better promise to be used on fish as well. However, its high cost would make it prohibitive for a commercial setting. The best wide spectrum ABX concoction I've found thus far is: Nitrofurazone, Sulfathiazole Sodium, Methylene Blue and sodium chloride. But the Methylene Blue destroys nitrifying bacteria so it's best dosed in a QT with no biofilter. :(

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cephalexin isn't especially effective vs. fish bacterial infections. This experiment was done on FW fish, but Cephalexin didn't perform well against a strain of Aeromonas - a genus of Gram-negative bacteria which widely afflicts SW fish as well: https://www.ijcmas.com/vol-3-12/Surya Kanta Samal, et al.pdf

Ciprofloxacin, on the other hand, does show better promise to be used on fish as well. However, its high cost would make it prohibitive for a commercial setting. The best wide spectrum ABX concoction I've found thus far is: Nitrofurazone, Sulfathiazole Sodium, Methylene Blue and sodium chloride. But the Methylene Blue destroys nitrifying bacteria so it's best dosed in a QT with no biofilter. :(

Hi! I have limited/zero knowledge of the specifics of either medication, but only had fish flex available when I noticed the first nem struggling. I’ve killed 2 gigs when attempting to treat with cipro (they didn’t make it after shipping and QT). So when the small nem was in all the stages we do not want to see and may never recover from namely the pancake stage. Fish flex brought it back from that stage. So either I’m just lucky and the nem recovered on its own l, or Fish Flex had something to do with it. Your guess is as good as mine.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have limited/zero knowledge of the specifics of either medication, but only had fish flex available when I noticed the first nem struggling. I’ve killed 2 gigs when attempting to treat with cipro (they didn’t make it after shipping and QT). So when the small nem was in all the stages we do not want to see and may never recover from namely the pancake stage. Fish flex brought it back from that stage. So either I’m just lucky and the nem recovered on its own l, or Fish Flex had something to do with it. Your guess is as good as mine.

Oh, Cephalexin may be perfectly fine and effective against nem infections. Just not fish specific bacterial diseases.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Gigantea, there needs to be a hobbyist/retailer who specializes in them for sale. Brings them in, treats them, sells them. I’m honestly thinking about doing this myself because it doesn’t seem to exist!

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last treatment day today for the small blue and Petco bleached. I’m thinking about doing the water change today with the tank water of the display they will be going into. Second to last day of treatment for the large established haddoni. I’ll do the same regarding the water change. All these water changes has been a pain in the butt!

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little blue and Petco bleached made their way into their display tank this morning! Wow, super sticky and packed quite a sting after the treatment! I’ll get a pic up here once they set their feet. I’m excited to watch both of them color up under the LEDs. I’ll move the big blue tomorrow after work.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last treatment day for this guy. I’m excited to get him back in his old display for sure! Did the water change tonight with display tank water. After tomorrow I will take a break for maybe a week and let everybody settle back in. Then post pictures of my haddoni tank. Thanks everyone for reading and commenting l.
IMG_0602.jpg

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Here’s a pic of my hand were the Petco bleached got me pretty good while moving it into the display. This thing went from being limp and not sticky, to being rock hard and super glue! The antibiotics worked!
IMG_0603.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, been about a week now. Everyone is doing fine in the carpet display! Thanks for following!
IMG_0617.jpg

mimiboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, been about a week now. Everyone is doing fine in the carpet display! Thanks for following!
IMG_0617.jpg
oh. my friend.it's you here. haha. you sent me just this DT pic on Instagram last week.wish all the best to your nems![emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji16]

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh. my friend.it's you here. haha. you sent me just this DT pic on Instagram last week.wish all the best to your nems![emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji16]

Hey buddy! I’m thinking about selling the big blue. After this treatment it is really healthy and expands to be the size of the entire tank. It’s taking up all the light!

Back