Hailchoeres Wrasse Under Appreciated

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dusky wrasse died of old age a few months ago. His successor is gaining size in QT. In the meantime I have noted a marked increase in ‘pests’, including bristle worms and astetina stars. I would not personally run a reef rank without a halichoeres wrasse on the job.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dusky wrasse.

I added a juvenile yellow coris wrasse to my tank a month ago and wish I had added one earlier. It has been constantly picking at my rocks and I've already noticed an improvement with some of my pests. Not to mention, it has a lot of personality.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love 'em. I have a h. cosmetus and h. chrysus in my tank. They are constantly scouring the rocks for things to nibble on. The only "pest" I have ever noticed is asterina starfish which they do nothing for. It's possible they pick off they really small ones, but I've never specifically noticed them eating an asterina.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dusky wrasse died of old age a few months ago. His successor is gaining size in QT. In the meantime I have noted a marked increase in ‘pests’, including bristle worms and astetina stars. I would not personally run a reef rank without a halichoeres wrasse on the job.

Agreed. My Melanurus can be a bit of a pain with it's invert munching proclivities but I think I will always have at least some form of Halichoeres in my tank. When my Melanurus goes the way of all the earth, I might look at a Red Lined or Christmas though.

flamez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my female dusky wrasse nearly had her for a year now I'm hoping she will transition to male soon because male look cool and it is my first halichoeres wrasse

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only "pest" I have ever noticed is asterina starfish which they do nothing for. It's possible they pick off they really small ones, but I've never specifically noticed them eating an asterina.

Nor have I, which us why I phrased my post in the way that I did. Since the dusky died though, the population of asterinas has multiplied appreciably. Coincidence perhaps .... or perhaps not.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dusky wrasse.

Thanks! She, then he, lived a good long life though. Began losing weight about six months ago before finally dying .... and getting eaten by my mag anemone.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my female dusky wrasse nearly had her for a year now I'm hoping she will transition to male soon because male look cool and it is my first halichoeres wrasse

Mine transitioned to male at about 4” in size. Ended up close to 7”. Was the only halichoeres in the tank, though many female leopards.

flamez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine transitioned to male at about 4” in size. Ended up close to 7”. Was the only halichoeres in the tank, though many female leopards.
I have mine in with silver belly wrasse and Blue Star Leopard Wrasse and Solon Fairy Wrasse and they all get long

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to have one, but I don’t know if it’s possible in a 36” long 30 gallon.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in with silver belly wrasse and Blue Star Leopard Wrasse and Solon Fairy Wrasse and they all get long

I meant that the presence of female leopards might, and only might, have been a trigger for the dusky gender switch; particularly since one of these females is a jeweled leopard and technically in the halichoeres genus.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed @ca1ore. Great thread and great recommendation. I too lost a Melanurus of presumably old age several months ago and am in the process of finding a replacement. Great citizens and the reason I'm replacing it. I have found them not to be very good shippers thus far. :(

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ca1ore , are you familiar with a scarlet pinstripe wrasse? I added one a month or so ago and I have enjoyed watching her very much.

yes had one a while back. Same genus as sixline if memory serves. Mine got a tad ornery as it grew.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed @ca1ore. Great thread and great recommendation. I too lost a Melanurus of presumably old age several months ago and am in the process of finding a replacement. Great citizens and the reason I'm replacing it. I have found them not to be very good shippers thus far. :(

Yes they tend to drive their snout into the corners of the bags ..... always been a bit surprised shippers don’t add sand to the bag. I guess it would increase the shipping costs.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them, and had a H. Biocellatus that I loved, but I got rid of him when I decided sand wasn't worth it anymore. What a great looking fish and great at keeping pests at bay.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Earmuff (Halichoeres Melasmapomus) is my favorite. My Melanurus is a jerk.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree completely! My only Halichoeres currently is a 6 1/2" Ear Muff who is a big old teddy bear. No one messes with him but he doesn't bother anything...except pests and pods. Will add a H. iridis soon.

The only drawback to Halichoeres is keeping mandarins. I would love one but in my tank (72x24) I simply don't have enough pods for both. Still worth it to me.

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to have one, but I don’t know if it’s possible in a 36” long 30 gallon.

@will25u

I had a Melanaurus wrasse in a 40 gallon breeder and judging from its colors and growth I believe it was healthy. I have seen people on here and on reddit with yellow wrasses in their biocubes so I think a 36" would be doable with smaller haliocheres given their other needs are met.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back