Hailchoeres Wrasse Under Appreciated

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant that the presence of female leopards might, and only might, have been a trigger for the dusky gender switch; particularly since one of these females is a jeweled leopard and technically in the halichoeres genus.
IME, it's much more the contrary - it takes something else exceptionally dominant to prevent a transition. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time.
I have seen people on here and on reddit with yellow wrasses in their biocubes
That's certainly not ideal, and definitely too small of a tank for H. chrysus IMO. Just because people do it doesn't make it best.
Are Halichores Wrasse ever captive bred?
A few species have been successful, but nothing in commercial quantities (yet).
I will probably get the wrasse police for this. I have a yellow coris in my 120 bare bottom.
Hi. :)
But by virtue of your own observations, it is not an ideal environment. By nature they bury, and depriving them of such certainly causes undue stress. Some specimens will perish from that stress; some will survive - but it's not the best path for them to thrive.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line keeps my tank absolutely spotless. Once in a blue moon I will see a hydroid, but he is relentless and it won’t last long! Wrasse are so useful imo
I have a baby six line in my 45 frag tank. It keeps it squeaky clean!
IME, it's much more the contrary - it takes something else exceptionally dominant to prevent a transition. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time.

That's certainly not ideal, and definitely too small of a tank for H. chrysus IMO. Just because people do it doesn't make it best.

But by virtue of your own observations, it is not an ideal environment. By nature they bury, and depriving them of such certainly causes undue stress. Some specimens will perish from that stress; some will survive - but it's not the best path for them to thrive.
I agree. Plan on putting some sand in the back this weedend. Ha e had a bag for awhile.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Plan on putting some sand in the back this weedend. Ha e had a bag for awhile.
It doesn't take much - enough to bury does the trick. A corner works, or even a container if you've got a place to hide it or don't want to deal with a sand mess on the bottom.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't take much - enough to bury does the trick. A corner works, or even a container if you've got a place to hide it or don't want to deal with a sand mess on the bottom.
I have a corner next to the corner overflow that will work. What depth do you recommend. I was thinking 2".

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Evolved, can you recommend any Halichoeres Wrasse for a 36" 30 gallon tank? (IM Nuvo 30L)?

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics.....you can't go wrong with Wrasses!!!!!

IMG_20191231_155305.jpg 2019_0519_14200200.jpg IMG_20190626_134919.jpg IMG_20191124_161622.jpg IMG_20191014_175737.jpg
Are any of yours aggressive. Very new to hobby and I just got a 6 line wrasse and he is with my two clowns and that’s it and couple corals. Should I be nervous later on when I add my coral beauty and watchman pistol pair.

Attachments

• IMG_8033.MOV
    21 MB

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evolved, can you recommend any Halichoeres Wrasse for a 36" 30 gallon tank? (IM Nuvo 30L)?
Sorry to say, but the genus isn't suitable for that space.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3.5" Timor. Not aggressive at all, but active. Not too big. Bulletproof. Mine is reef safe with larger inverts. Not common but not expensive. Pretty.

Tank is 36 x18 x21. I would NOT put Halichoeres in a footprint smaller than this!

I have a Pink streaked wrasse, he's GREAT. He zips all over

Last edited:

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3.5" Timor. Not aggressive at all, but active. Not too big. Bulletproof. Mine is reef safe with larger inverts. Not common but not expensive. Pretty.

Tank is 36 x18 x21. I would NOT put Halichoeres in a footprint smaller than this!

I have a Pink streaked wrasse, he's GREAT. He zips all over
Note that the Timor will definitely outgrow that tank, mine is easily 6" and doesn't seem full grown.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my coral vendors uses a Melanarus to clean his corals of pests. To be fair, in a few years now, I've never had more than a pod or mini star come off of any corals from him. He says as soon as he puts new corals in there, the wrasse is all over them looking for food. :)

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my 6+ years-kept melanurus wrasse a couple months ago. For the moment I'm wrasses-free in the DT.

I lost my melanurus last week after 8 years (I did buy it really small), so I'm in the same situation as you. Tank just isn't right without a halichoeres.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that the Timor will definitely outgrow that tank, mine is easily 6" and doesn't seem full grown.

A friend has had a timor for a couple of years now and it's transitioned into a male and is about 7" long (according to him). All I know is its bigger than the powder blue he's had for ten years:oops:

I think @evolved has kept them and would know more of their potential.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend has had a timor for a couple of years now and it's transitioned into a male and is about 7" long (according to him). All I know is its bigger than the powder blue he's had for ten years:oops:

Yeah mine may be 7", it's only smaller than my 2 year old desjardini tang at the moment. It's temperament is calmer than some other halichoeres I've seen (though, I have 7 in my tank so aggression is heavily dispersed), but of all my (11) wrasses it is the only one that will swim to the top eat right off the chunk of LRS I feed.

Overall I think it comes down to the individual specimen. But being on the larger side of halichoeres, I imagine it's somewhere around h chloropterus (but less aggressive than h hortulanus) in temperament once full grown.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fishbase has their max recorded size at 12cm (~5 in). In my experience, that's not too far from off. I have kept a couple different specimens of the species, both of which eventually became terminal males. I would say they were in the 5" range - maybe slightly larger. 7" is definitely much larger than either of mine achieved.

There's certainly individual variation too, just like any species (land or sea). Sometimes the genetics just line up, and an extra large individual emerges.
But being on the larger side of halichoeres, I imagine it's somewhere around h chloropterus (but less aggressive than h hortulanus) in temperament once full grown.
I wouldn't really put them in the large Halichoeres camp, and certainly not comparable to hortulanus in size. And as for chloropterus, that species is generally pretty nasty once mature; timorensis is really tame in comparison.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back