Hair Algae Problem for over a year

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a CVUE 40 Gallon tank that I have had up and running for over a year now. I been battling Hair algae from the very get go. I have tried a lot of things. My clean up crew doesn't seem to keep up with it at all. I am currently manually picking anything I can on a daily basis. I am trying to see if anyone has any ideas that they have done to deal with hair algae. I am currently running two AI Prime 16 on the Nano Karen schedule.

My current reading of my tank right now and stocking.

1 green Chromis
1 Clown Fish
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Aptasia Eating File fish
2 Neon Goby
1 Blood Shrimp
3 Pincushion Urchins
Assorted hermit crabs and snails

Phosphate - 0.01
Temperature 77.4
PH 7.98
Alkalinity 8.76
Calcium 335
Magnesium 1290

If anyone has any suggestions for me to try it would be greatly appreciated. Attached are pictures of my tank.

thumbnail (95).jpg thumbnail (96).jpg thumbnail (97).jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no reason for hair algae not to grow. It's a bunch of bare rock. Something will cover it and the hair algae got there first. You will probably battle it forever if you don't start placing more corals, anemones, ornamental algaes, sponges, etc.

Think of what would happen to a bare patch of soil... End of the season it'll be dandelions and wildflowers. Until you plant some shrubs, trees, perennial grasses, etc... (or let mother nature do it for you) It will remain so.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin worked for me along with manually removal..even thu you are getting a low reading for phosphate the hair algae is consuming the phosphates and they are probably higher

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin worked for me along with manually removal..even thu you are getting a low reading for phosphate the hair algae is consuming the phosphates and they are probably higher
What kind of Urchin do you have.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am going to start with this to see what kind of success I can have with it.
Thanks, when I use h2o2 I dose 1ml per 10 gallons of 3% solution to weaken the algae and make it easier to manually remove. Good luck; some GHA is "normal" of course.

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it on my tank an used reef rux worked like magic.an u can get off Amazon cheap

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • None.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.5%

Back