hair algae problem!

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what eats hair algae? i am doing what i can now by changing 5 gallons, but somthin has to eat hair algae... :eek:oh:

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you have heard this, but you need to try and figure out what is causing it. There are a lot of creatures that are supposed to eat it, but I think it is usually hit or miss. I think blue spot sea hares, abalone, hermits, emeralds, certain tangs, mexican turbo snails, lawnmower blennies and foxfaces. I have 2 small spots of it and have tried most of these, with little to no effect. I have not tried the sea hares or abalones myself.

I have recently been blowing off the rocks that it grows on and it is slowly going away.

Good luck

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pair of regular sea hares that have helped to turn my hair algae tank back into a nice looking mixed reef. That said though, if there's a reason the tank is growing hair algae (high temp and an iodide overdose mixed with low alkalinity was mine,) the best eaters in the world won't solve your problem. Figure out why it's growing, then the removal will be permanent.

Any thoughts why the problem that maybe some of the experts on here could offer their advice to help out with?

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that I was off with low Alk and was running my light too long.

I have also started running Oceans Blend Phosphate Remover.... whata big difference that made!

Steve

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont have a proper alk test, have a cheaper one that dosnt read to well. and i think its cause i over feed somtimes cuz i wana make sure my anemone is getting enough food, got alot of poachers. and it hasnt effect any of my corals really yet.. *knock on wood* but i definitly know i need to slow down on the feeding, but i just introduced a new nemo and didnt want my old one to starve.. =]

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what sort of nems? Keep in mind most are photosynthetic and don't need to be getting fed, especially not that much. Once a week feeding of a small piece of fish (say half a silverside) is more than sufficient. My buddy has 4 different bubble tips is his 100 mixed reef, and IF they get target fed, it's once a month at most. They all came from a single nem that has now split in excess of 10 times, so the thing is healthy to say the least.
Try and get a fell spectrum water test done and post it up here for some feedback.

Also, if you feel you're feeding too much, you ARE feeding too much, cut way back, even though it doesn't seem like your corals are being affected yet, depending what they are, you'll see effects after it's too late to prevent damage from being done.

So what's your general care and maitenance on the tank? What sort of inhabitants? Any additional information to key in on the problem and easier solutions would be helpful.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got some emerald crabs and they tore up the hair algae in my frag tanks!

Y-Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started running a BRS GFO/Carbon reactor, changing more water, feeding less, scrubing the rocks while siphoning water out, and just started AlgaeFix.... Almost no sign of HA remaining. I tried to find the source but was unsure so doing everything known to fix the issue. I change water religiously also.

Good Luck,
Tyler

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 28 gal nano-cube HQI

fish:(all these fish are small babies)
2 false percula
1 flame hawk
1 six lined wrasse
5 blue leg crabs
and a couple porcelain and decorator crabs (unknown)

corals:
tons of zoas
ricordea and other mushrooms
kenya tree
cup coral
candy cane
and a few other things
and dont forget RBTA

no parameters, will test in a lil when my girl goes home.

at first i was changin my water alot at first when i started (2 or 3 times a week) up until about a week ago when everything was on point. i changed 5 gal last night, up the salinity a lil bit cuz it was starting to drop from adding a couple cups of RO water when the water gets to low in the tank..

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doin another 5 gal water change in like 30min.
calcium levels are at 540! =[ (i know i gotta bring that down)
but does the feeding add calcium?

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1+++++++++++ good info
I know that you have heard this, but you need to try and figure out what is causing it. There are a lot of creatures that are supposed to eat it, but I think it is usually hit or miss. I think blue spot sea hares, abalone, hermits, emeralds, certain tangs, mexican turbo snails, lawnmower blennies and foxfaces. I have 2 small spots of it and have tried most of these, with little to no effect. I have not tried the sea hares or abalones myself.

I have recently been blowing off the rocks that it grows on and it is slowly going away.

Good luck

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back