Hair algae questions, what else could I be doing?

MiniBukta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even before I switched from 55 to 180, I always had a bit of lingering hair algae. It got decently bad and had a bit everywhere recently, so I upped my game on it a bit.

Tank info: 180, trigger 36 sump, light for Cheato runs for 12 hours opposite DT lights, cheato growth has been good, protein skimmer, and an undersized UV skimmer I got on amazon.

Started dosing about a month ago, currently dosing 10ml both of brs alk and calc, and I was dosing a Red Sea nitrate and phosphate remover at 40ml a day for a week, then down to 20 for a couple weeks, and now I’ve stopped dosing it. That killed my alk(it was down to 7), caused a bacterial load that clogged a lot of stuff, but it hugely reduced the hair algae and what’s left was turned a whispy white color. Because my alk was so low, I stopped dosing the remover, but now the hair algae is back to green, and I fear it will be coming right back.

So I guess I’m wondering where do I go from here? I had a cleaner shrimp die, don’t know what happened to it, but everything else seems perfectly fine and healthy. I dialed my reef Breeders white spectrum back about 15% across the board.

Do I continue dosing the remover until all hair algae has died off? Will it come right back? What do y’all do for keeping it out? I’d love to have it gone and be able to get things stable and back on track so I can start adding more corals, but until this is dealt with or I have a permanent solution for controlling, I don’t want to start adding yet and risking killing things.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is you feeding schedule for your fish. As fish food is the main source of phosphate that fuels hair algae.

OP
OP
MiniBukta

MiniBukta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is you feeding schedule for your fish. As fish food is the main source of phosphate that fuels hair algae.
Mostly reef flakes and spirinula flakes, once at night around 6-7pm. 1-2 times a week, I feed 2 cubes of frozen krill or brine(I don’t rinse it), and then corals are fed once a week.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back